• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bi-Polar with a career ??

starfoxxy90

starfoxxy90

I been dealing with Bi-Polar type 1 and PTSD with delayed expression. I been wanting to go back to college for a career. Yet I have been told that most of the careers I would not be able to have due to my diagnosis. I been so confused and numb by how I am 31 year and have not had a job too many well since I only had a janitorial job until the virus happened and I had to move farther away from my job . is there any work I would be able to work towards a goal with being diagnosed with no polar type 1? I always have been interested in Cyber Crime Investigator .

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I'm also bipolar 1. I was fired in 2019 after having an episode at work. I was laid off the next day. It's very difficult working with others. I'm not working right now and I don't know what to do next. :(

R

rawlinsc

I have worked a lot of jobs. I have worked almost my whole adult life. I have never had a career. My sleep disorder and some mental and physical health issues hold me back. I hope that can change in the future. I do have a college degree so I conquered that obstacle. Id like to go back to School for a masters.

S

squizofrenia123

I know many people with bipolar who do well despite their illness. Some are medical doctors, psychologists, scientists, writers, artists, etc. So, please don't think because you have bipolar that you can't pursue a career. As for me, I have severe psychosis with bipolar type 2 and this has been a detriment for me. I have had several setbacks and also made poor decisions in the past. I was off my medication several times and although on medication, I still become psychotic. So, I'm teaching for now and like it a lot. But, I don't really think of it as a career but something to do instead of doing nothing. I think because I am more impaired I could not pursue a career but don't have any regrets about it. It is what it is. I am happier now also because my job is not too demanding and keeps me busy. In a nutshell, I would do what makes you happy and keeps you busy.

Zana

Zana

In a nutshell, I would do what makes you happy and keeps you busy.
This is the key - if you can find a job that makes you happy then you'll never work a day in your life again. I am a lab manager by trade and it is incredibly stressful, especially as when symptomatic I can't even manage myself, let alone anyone or anything else. Don't think I'm long for this industry and am really considering taking a break from working to figure out a better career path.

C

celticlass

I know of a senior social work Manager who has bipolar illness. He has been around for a long time but has had a lot of absences and has now gone back down the career ladder to a less stressful position.

R

rawlinsc

This is the key - if you can find a job that makes you happy then you'll never work a day in your life again. I am a lab manager by trade and it is incredibly stressful, especially as when symptomatic I can't even manage myself, let alone anyone or anything else. Don't think I'm long for this industry and am really considering taking a break from working to figure out a better career path.
My job makes me happy. Only thing I don't like is the low pay. It is stressful to get up early on weekends, but that's the only major stress.

I

indescriminatename

I am an engineer and usually hold a job about 2 years before problem, and then I just cant get up and get to work. I have followed the pattern for 16 years. It's not like I want to get fired from a 6 figure job to make 1400 a month but it's what I have to do

R

rawlinsc

I am an engineer and usually hold a job about 2 years before problem, and then I just cant get up and get to work. I have followed the pattern for 16 years. It's not like I want to get fired from a 6 figure job to make 1400 a month but it's what I have to do
You must be bright to be an engineer. I went to college with engineers. I make about 1400 a month like that. I wish I could make six figures like an engineer. Lol!

B

Beachgirl71

Bipolar can make working challenging. I've been a teacher for 27 years, and for the most part, I've had only a few problems. I was manic on and off during graduate school and had to take a semester off to get stable again. I did receive my degree although it took a little longer than most. I was on schedule to get my doctorate, but the stress was tough on my bipolar. I had to give up on that goal. When I was in my thirties, I struggled a lot with manic episodes, but that sort of worked to my advantage since part of teaching is "entertaining" students and staying upbeat. The key for me was to work closely with my pdoc, get enough sleep, and take my meds on a regular schedule.

R

rawlinsc

Bipolar can make working challenging. I've been a teacher for 27 years, and for the most part, I've had only a few problems. I was manic on and off during graduate school and had to take a semester off to get stable again. I did receive my degree although it took a little longer than most. I was on schedule to get my doctorate, but the stress was tough on my bipolar. I had to give up on that goal. When I was in my thirties, I struggled a lot with manic episodes, but that sort of worked to my advantage since part of teaching is "entertaining" students and staying upbeat. The key for me was to work closely with my pdoc, get enough sleep, and take my meds on a regular schedule.
That's what I tried to become a teacher. I have a bachelors. I cant get up early enough to work as a teacher due to sleep disorder. I wish I could get accommodations for people with disabilities. Maybe come into work later.

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I know many people with bipolar who do well despite their illness. Some are medical doctors, psychologists, scientists, writers, artists, etc. So, please don't think because you have bipolar that you can't pursue a career. As for me, I have severe psychosis with bipolar type 2 and this has been a detriment for me. I have had several setbacks and also made poor decisions in the past. I was off my medication several times and although on medication, I still become psychotic. So, I'm teaching for now and like it a lot. But, I don't really think of it as a career but something to do instead of doing nothing. I think because I am more impaired I could not pursue a career but don't have any regrets about it. It is what it is. I am happier now also because my job is not too demanding and keeps me busy. In a nutshell, I would do what makes you happy and keeps you busy.
I know several bipolar 2 people that live and work without problems. I don't know any bipolar 1 people that doesn't struggle with work and school.

The difference between bipolar 1 and 2 is equivalent to comparing an apple and orange.

College degrees are so expensive that you can't keep getting new ones when you're not capable of using it. I can't use my business degree because the stress and anxiety situations caused me to go into an episode. The embarrassment was absolutely horrible when i thought about it the following week while unemployed at home.

R

rawlinsc

I know several bipolar 2 people that live and work without problems. I don't know any bipolar 1 people that doesn't struggle with work and school.

The difference between bipolar 1 and 2 is equivalent to comparing an apple and orange.

College degrees are so expensive that you can't keep getting new ones when you're not capable of using it. I can't use my business degree because the stress and anxiety situations caused me to go into an episode. The embarrassment was absolutely horrible when i thought about it the following week while unemployed at home.
Whats the difference between bipolar 1 and 2?
I did well in school but sleep disorder prevents me from pursuing the career I want. I dont know if bipolar is affecting my sleep but it might be.

T

Turtlewithhope

I’ve been holding down the same, relatively stressful job, for 15 years! But lately I’m struggling more than I had. I have no choice but to keep going as I have to pay rent and school fees, but sometimes wish there was another way.