• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bi polar, or just mixed up?

S

sakurablossom

Hey guys and girls, so , indulge me if you will, but i have some questions as to whether i may have bi polar, or if something else is tagging along with my depression and anxiety.
You see, my mother had manic depression / bi polar, but i dont face the extremes she has, still, my depression often has spells where things seem better, or im even over excitable to the point of impulsive and silly, only to return to being depressed and over stressed again. I often feel restless , get insomnia and feel *creative* and want to do impulsive things, only to later feel drained, tired and down. I have *sides* that are confident, or really energetic , and the other really withdrawn and anti social. I have major problems letting the past go, or people not seeing my point of view / side of things. Im also obsessed with certain points in my life that seemed blissful to where ive been since, and i yearn to return to that point, despite knowing things wouldnt be the same. I cant see the point in most things in life because they seem futile, or because they seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so i end up not caring about much. I cant stand being the same person and tend to be very dysmorphic, constantly wanting to change who i am or how i look
Honestly, while already diagnosed with anxiety/social anxiety and chronic depression, i often feel theres more to it, and ive been told i have traits of bpd, but i never really fully disclose with the docs, because i dont want even more labels and medication after seeing what its done to people related to me.:low:
Any advice or opinions?

Last edited:
R

Rusalochka

I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't have bipolar, but I understand some of the stress you're going through. I also understand why you don't want to bring it up with doctors because of medications and stuff. But I think you have to talk to a doctor. It would be best to get a professional opinion. There are a lot of terrible doctors out there, and I've had many. So I hope you have a good one who will try to help you out.

I don't know that much about bipolar disorder, but for me I've been dealing with anxiety and depression and I'm slowly moving towards herbal stuff to help me. So maybe there's a way to help you? I'm seeing a Naturopathic Physician/Doctor and she's been helping me out a lot. So maybe you can look into that?

Whatever works out for you though. If you need psychiatric medication, then that's okay. I just hope you find answers soon and good luck. :goodluck:

Last edited:
S

sakurablossom

Thanks so much for replying :) I know i really do need to be honest with them, but so many people either get left on meds, or repeatedly put through cbt everytime things get bad, and i just dont want to be in an endless cycle of patching things until something doesnt work again :/ Plus its very difficult to get a proper diagnosis..or even acknowledgement for one problem..let alone figuring out more in depth things... Im just fortunate that some of it has been noticed at least..but they tend to go for anxiety / depression as a blanket diagnosis from what i can tell.. Im just unsure whether to settle or to go for it and try sort it all out so i can settle down properly. But thanks for the advice..if things keep going this way it's certainly worth a try ^_^

R

Rusalochka

Thanks so much for replying :) I know i really do need to be honest with them, but so many people either get left on meds, or repeatedly put through cbt everytime things get bad, and i just dont want to be in an endless cycle of patching things until something doesnt work again :/ Plus its very difficult to get a proper diagnosis..or even acknowledgement for one problem..let alone figuring out more in depth things... Im just fortunate that some of it has been noticed at least..but they tend to go for anxiety / depression as a blanket diagnosis from what i can tell.. Im just unsure whether to settle or to go for it and try sort it all out so i can settle down properly. But thanks for the advice..if things keep going this way it's certainly worth a try ^_^
Omg I just realized I replied to your other thread with a similar comment about Naturopathy lol. Sorry about that. I didn't realize you were the same person!

I'm hoping the best for you. I think what might work is writing down the symptoms you have and sharing the list with the doctor. Or maybe it might not work, but I heard about several people trying this. Especially when they felt like they weren't being listened to by doctors.

S

sakurablossom

The symptom diary / log does seem like a good idea..i did have one doc just brush it aside, but given im in a new area now, it might be worthwhile with the new doctors up here, especially before deciding whether to restart my old meds or not ...Heck, they might actually listen XD And no worries about the posts, its nice enough you reply to them :)

G

gypsiqueen

There are different severities on the bipolar spectrum with lots of different symptoms. There's bipolar I, which is what I have. It's mania with major depression. There's bipolar II, with hypomania and major depression. There's also cyclothymia, which is a milder form. There is bipolar NOS for those who definitely have it but don't fit the criteria for one or another. A person with bipolar could experience psychosis and delusions along with anxiety. I don't know if you fit into any of this; only a doctor can tell you. I started out with major depression and ended up developing bipolar. I had major depression for many years. I was always unsure of myself, but then I developed really major anxiety. So, there are lots of things that can go with it. But definitely talk to your doctor.

S

sakurablossom

Thanks ^_^ Yeah, i was diagnosed with chronic depression..basically constant with strong bouts too..and a lot of anxiety, though usually more manageable, but i've a lot of symptoms that dont fit.. but have seen doc so i'll wait and see :)

antimatterTek

antimatterTek

You cannot be diagnosed by anyone by a psychiatrist. There are certain traits and patterns of behavior that go into making a complete diagnosis.

Why not tell them what is really going on. You may find you don't have manic depressive illness and that would be a good thing.

For me, I was in the hospital for being sick for years and had a massive psychotic break. It took them 10 days to diagnose me with schizoaffective disorder, but once I found out - I was relieved to understand there was a reason all this shit was happening to me and my hallucinations and delusions were all accounted for (mostly).

If you can get on the right path towards better mental health - you should. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Take that step.