• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bi-Polar Bear

K

KevinfromSydney

Hi all, my name's Kevin. I've had BPD since I was 16. I'm now 37. I've only had two episodes of Mania when I was 16 and 19. The first episode kept me in a Psych ward for about two months. The second episode had me in the ward for only 9 days and I was released. I was started on Lithium at the age of 16, and then my Psychiatrist decided I didn't need it any more at the age of 18. Things started to go badly for me then, until after a few months, I was readmitted to the Psych ward with mania or perhaps hypomania. I was put back on to Lithium and things started to improve for me pretty much straight away. I was released after 9 days in hospital. I haven't had an episode of mania or depression since then. That was 17 years ago. I have been pretty much constantly taking my Lithium since that time.

I don't want to sound as if I'm bragging or anything, especially as I read the problems people have here in this Forum. I believe that there are two reasons why I have been able to stay so well. The first is my faith in God and the second is the medication (Lithium in my case) and making sure I take the medication. I think that I would have found it hard to take the medication if I didn't believe that God wanted me to take it. This is a key factor for me. I have gone off it in the past on occassion, but I always find that I feel much better on it than I do off it.

Anyway, that's a little bit about my journey. I hope that it encourages someone. Be the best Bi-Polar Bear you can be! Peace.