• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bi-polar and in debt. Help.

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Anyone been in the same position. So far i have run up and paid off up to £5,000 3 times in the past and i have run up £4,500 run up over the last year due to 3 manic phases. I am desperate to get out of this cycle but don't know how. I have tried writing to the credit reference agencies asking them to put a note on my file explaining my condition and asking them not to give me credit. They refused to do that. I have an exerlant credit rating due to never defaulting on anything but wonder if i should start not paying bills. My only problem with this is it goes against the grain for me and i would worry about not paying the bill. Anyone with some words of wisdom for me. When i am not manic i spend all my available money on trying to clear my debts on to run them up again which makes me think i am better off not trying to pay them back but just pay the minium payment as maybe at least i won't be offered any more credit.

E

Eric

Hey Scooby.

I understand how you must be feeling. I have been in a very similar, if not exact situation before. I have run up debt on binge shopping, entertainment, drug and alcohol use, and anything else you could think of. I was so bad that I ended up having NO money to pay any bills. This caused a big problem of course. I nearly had my house repossessed,, there was no money to put food on the table, etc.
What I've done now is hand all my access to my finances over to someone I trust implicitly, and only when I really need money do I get any. this is working well, and I've found that I don't run out of money anymore.

I Hope you come right, all the best.

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Thank you eric for your reply. I am thinking of doing what you have done but don't know that i want my family to find out my situation. I have got one credit card with only a limit of £200 on it and am thinking of cutting up and getting rid of all trace of my other cards(5) after setting up standing orders to pay a reasonable amount out of my income each month and just using the one credit card for monthly living expences. It may work as the card i would be using is one that is not possible to increase the credit limit for 6 months which should give me time to get on an even keel again. I am going to make it IMPOSSIBLE to get access to any more of my money. Thanks again for the reply. It helps to hear from others with the same problem.

E

Eric

Hey Scooby,

You need to be able to find 1 person to trust. It's very difficult, as I know, because I've been let down and stood on many times myself.
Admitting to someone that you have a problem is half the work, once you've done that, things usually get easier - well from my experience anyway! - and there's no shame in admitting that you have a problem. No one is perfect!

You are going to go through a manic phase again, and you need to have "barriers" in place to make sure you don't fall into the same trap again.
Speak to the closest person to you - you need to have faith - and you'll find that they will understand better than you think.

:p"Trust me I'm a doctor!!!:p

Keep well.

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Thanks to those that replied. I am at the end of the line now. I no longer want to go on with my life. I have drunk lots of cider and cut myself abit to try and make my self feel better but i don't. I have a cupboard full of my medication which i have not taken for the last month that is saying go on do it take us. Have added up all my debts and it is £6,000. I can't take the pain of living any more i think my family would be better off without me. I am just going to go round and round in this cycle for ever and a day. Best to end it now. I have had a good innings. I have just got to get up the courage(need abit more cider me thinks) to do it and do it right(not like the last time). I pray for the courage.

silly madam

silly madam

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

You ARE going to make it through this. if you want someone to talk to to help you thru this stage then talk to ME. I am no expert but I, like everyone else here, wants you to hang in there and look forward to tomorrow.

Dont give up........please.
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I keep hoping tomorrow is going to be better but it never is. I can't see an end to it. My daughter prefers her aunt and gran to me anyway and would be over me in a week(that is being very generous). I don't see any way out it just keeps going round and round in a circle.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hi Scooby ring samaritians or NHS direct for help.
Your daughter loves you and is worth living for.

J

jamesdean

I spent £15,000 between january and july this year and I still owe £10,000 and have to put together a plan to now pay it all back, this is on top of foodshopping I've not done mania before in my life, and really its great when you are up buying but oh my god its awful when you are low and have suicidal thoughts and knowing you cannot leave that debt to your parents.You feel like the sales assitants are your best friends and you feel physically sick until you have been shopping. I have calmed down somewhot but had somemania on friday