• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

bi polar and being pregnant

J

jekel1

i have bi polar but we really want to expanad our family, i have the implant in my arm to stop at th emomonet can the doctors refuse to remove it because of my meds/ im on depokote diazapam and olanazapine . would it be safe? can i ever have a baby ? i all ready have two but would like one more than that would complete our family. i feel really well at the moment thanks x

A

Angela662

I fell pregnant with my second child by accident( a nice accident whilst on a few different meds, they change me to meds which were had been proved to be safe whilst I was pregnant, and monitored me every month and also induced me two weeks early so I could get back on my other meds but that was because I didnt want to breast feed, I do know lithium is a bad one and you are advised 100% not to get pregnant, speak to your doctor and see what they advise

hope this helps and good luck

emski

emski

Doctors cannot refuse to remove a contraceptive implant because you have bipolar - that would be gross discrimination.

The only thing I must advise is talk to your doctor first and tell him you wish to have another baby. As far as I remember it is not advised to take Depakote whilst pregnant due to risk of teratogenicity (birth defects). So you really need to talk the other options over with regards to meds

Take care :hug:

T

TOONAFISH

I was on depekot and they took me off it to have erin. it can cause birth defects. i had to just go without for the 12 months in total. i was ok until 2 months after birth, ended up in hosp. they basically told me not to have any more kids. i got sterilis4ed just after. really wanted a third child. still get a bit upset.

S

skyblue

My PDoc always reminds me not to get pregnant whilst taking Depakote, because as the others have already mentioned, it can cause birth defects.