• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Beyond the Silence

Enpi

Enpi

Hi
To get straight to the point, I've stopped talking since last night. I don't really know the reason myself. I forgot to take my medicines yesterday and by the end of the day I was a total...I don't know what to call it! My mum and my brother in law were arguing too. It wasn't a serious fight or anything but their voices distressed me anyway. I was in my own room, curled up on the bed with my hands on my ears. I bit my arm which bled a little and when my sister and her husband and children left (because they don't know about my illness) I started on the punch bag. I punched non-stop for about ten minutes and then I fell on the sofa, breathing heavily and sweating like hell. Then I stopped talking! My mum asked me what was wrong but I only looked at her. It might be some sort of attention seeking; I'm not sure. But I don't think it is. Years ago I read a book called 'Beyond the Silence' which was about a teenage girl who didn't talk. That may have been where I got the idea. I had even asked myself 'What would happen if I stopped talking?' but I had never considered it seriously and last night all of a sudden I just didn't want to talk! I don't know how long I want to (or how long I CAN) carry on like this. Has anyone had any experience of the sort? :unsure::(

keepsafe

keepsafe

I internalise things which sometimes ends up with me not talking, but it is about those particular things. There have been periods in my life where talking has seemed pointless.

I think you need to talk to someone about your problems though.

I am just starting and I cannot share things with anyone close just the professionals, but if I had a loving family and I was different too - I would have loved to be able to talk to them. I know things are difficult and talking isn;t easy but I don;t think not talking at all is a way foward.

Take Care
KS