Better ways of dealing with difficult feelings/events

J

jo2018

Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum - just joined recently. One of the things I struggle with is dealing with emotions and events in a healthy way. I tend to overeat as a response to stressful or upsetting things - if I've had a bad day or something has upset me I go to the shops and buy loads of treats. To try to take a better approach I'm putting a list together to keep on my phone of alternative things I can do. Does anyone have any suggestions for what works for them as an alternative coping mechanism, or how to get past the initial urge to go and get something sugary when I am feeling like this?

P

plantparent

Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum - just joined recently. One of the things I struggle with is dealing with emotions and events in a healthy way. I tend to overeat as a response to stressful or upsetting things - if I've had a bad day or something has upset me I go to the shops and buy loads of treats. To try to take a better approach I'm putting a list together to keep on my phone of alternative things I can do. Does anyone have any suggestions for what works for them as an alternative coping mechanism, or how to get past the initial urge to go and get something sugary when I am feeling like this?
hi jo,

i've also been working towards finding healthier coping mechanisms that don't involve food or restriction, and i've found that doing something with my hands has been the most effective. it sounds a bit silly, but cross stitching has been amazing! it takes enough concentration that i'm distracted from whatever negative emotion i'm feeling, it's repetitive in a way that feels mindful, and i find it really satisfying to watch the design come together.

so cross stitch might not totally be your jam, but maybe something like knitting, embroidery, drawing, etc.? busy hands, quieter mind, time to breathe and give the impulse to use food time to pass.

amathus

amathus

This sounds a bit like 'comfort eating'.
It makes you feel better for a while but then you feel guilty for doing it.
Any activity which diverts your urges to comfort eat may help.
Maybe explore other ways of allowing yourself to feel good.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

best not to buy these kinds of food in at all and start looking at healthier opitons like fruit instead. i have recently rediscovered Malt loaf which gives me the sweetness i crave but ticks a few health boxes.

J

johnram

as a comfort eater, i can relate

best advice i have is to avoid buying these things, so its harder to access them

i took it one step further and blocked takeaway websites at home and from my phone - i used to be quite bad

that doesnt deal with the underlying emotions, but frees you up somewhat

in the end, to really deal with it and to care for ourselves, we need to resolve what takes you there, as hard as that can be

i wish you well

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Eating Disorders Forum 14