• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Best meds for depression

R

Recalcitrant78

Hi all,

Pretty much had enough now of trying to fight my depression with lifestyle and diet. Very willing to try medication.

I'm 43 years old. I'm not hugely depressed but I am consistently depressed with bouts of heavy depression interwoven.

Would love to hear about your experiences of zoloft prozac etc.

Thanks

SoftRain

SoftRain

I take Paxil and it works for me.
Its really hard to give a certain medication to take because we all react differently. What works for one person might not work for you.
Its generally a trial and error to see what works for you specifically.

R

Recalcitrant78

I take Paxil and it works for me.
Its really hard to give a certain medication to take because we all react differently. What works for one person might not work for you.
Its generally a trial and error to see what works for you specifically.

Thanks. Good to hear a good news story. I am booking a doctors appointment tomorrow and am going to ask for meds ASAP. I can't go on like this any longer.

I'm currently day 5 of a bad flu and being in bed for 5 days has made my depression and anxiety even worse than usual.

I did 15 years ago run a short course of mirtazapine. All it did was make me sleep like the dead. I could sleep for 15 - 20 hours on the stuff. Not sure if I took it for long enough.

Bod

Bod

I'm on Sertraline 50mg at the moment, but my next one is Sertraline 100mg seems to take the edge off it for me so then I just work on the rest.

R

Recalcitrant78

I'm on Sertraline 50mg at the moment, but my next one is Sertraline 100mg seems to take the edge off it for me so then I just work on the rest.

Probably I only need to take the edge off. Just enough to help me along. Just need something to rid the underlying black cloud.

C

charlieblack5

Can I ask - what was the reaction when you started taking it? I was prescribed it but had THE WORST diarrhea the first day. I stopped taking it there and then, it was so bad.

Bod

Bod

I have been ok on it at the moment, but I will have to see what it does when I start on 100mg.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I wanted to add it took 4 different medications before they got it right for me.

C

charlieblack5

I keep thinking Prozac sounds like a reasonable one to take?

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

I believe sertraline is the number one right now in frequency of use

SoftRain

SoftRain

Thanks. Good to hear a good news story. I am booking a doctors appointment tomorrow and am going to ask for meds ASAP. I can't go on like this any longer.

I'm currently day 5 of a bad flu and being in bed for 5 days has made my depression and anxiety even worse than usual.

I did 15 years ago run a short course of mirtazapine. All it did was make me sleep like the dead. I could sleep for 15 - 20 hours on the stuff. Not sure if I took it for long enough.
I took seroquel for several months. its not for depression but it made me a zombie. I would sleep 18 hours! So it sounds like the med was not for you.
I am sure in time they will find a med that works for you! Hopefully on the first try.

Bod

Bod

I keep thinking Prozac sounds like a reasonable one to take?

I'd have a good talk with your GP first, as when I first tried Prozac it actually made me feel a damn sight worse so stopped it, but every person is different on meds now days.

R

Recalcitrant78

I took seroquel for several months. its not for depression but it made me a zombie. I would sleep 18 hours! So it sounds like the med was not for you.
I am sure in time they will find a med that works for you! Hopefully on the first try.
With a bit of luck. I am under ridiculous pressure ATM running my business and I honestly can't tell if it's due to the work or due to my mental health.

I have accepted that my circuitry is not wired properly and I need help. It's time to do something about it.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

I'd have a good talk with your GP first, as when I first tried Prozac it actually made me feel a damn sight worse so stopped it, but every person is different on meds now days.
Prozac was hailed as the wonder drug when it first come out but has been declining in popularity since. It works well for some folk though.

Trying to find the right AD is more than a pain in the butt. Hopefully your first one does it for you.

If your in the USA with good health insurance I think they pay for a DNA test which will point to a certain AD but offers only a 15% chance

Bod

Bod

I'm in the UK, but I do have a great GP who does actually listen to me thank god.