• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Best Medicines For Schizophrenia

mmattdude135

mmattdude135

I was wondering what the best medicines for schizophrenia were. I am currently taking Zyprexa and I just started out on Haldol, but I am worried about the side effects of both medicine, such as weight gain and high blood sugar, in the case of Zyprexa, and tremors, in the case of Haldol. What should I do guys? I really want to get on the right meds.

mmattdude135

mmattdude135

I am thinking about stopping both Zyprexa and Haldol in favor of Risperdal. Risperdal can have weight gain associated with it but I do not think it raises your blood sugar or causes tremors. I think with diet and exercise Risperdal would be the best medicine for me.

V

Viktoria

Are these side effects you've noticed or ones you know can occur?
I'd see what helps against schizophrenia and just wait and see when it comes to what side effects you experience.

I've been on all three. Quit haldol due to side effects that couldn't even be taken away by anti-side effects medication. Felt like a zombie, was stiff and as though my soul was not with me but somewhere meters behind.

With zyprexa I am aware of what I eat and tend to go for fruit&vedge. Haven't gained any weight recently.

What does your psych suggest?

mmattdude135

mmattdude135

I am aware that heightened blood sugar can occur with Zyprexa and tremors can occur with Haldol, but I have not experienced these symptoms yet. I have experienced the weight gain from Zyprexa though.

My doctor suggested I take Haldol or another medicine in conjunction with Zyprexa to see if we can reduce the schizophrenia symptoms even more. I just need to start eating mindfully and start exercising to combat the weight gain.

Love My Soul

Love My Soul

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey there matty, Have you heard of Scullcap Aka mad dog :)
Used by some tribes of Native American Indians.
Traditionally used as a sedative.
I believe It has been used in the treatment of rabies and schizophrenia.
You're welcome.

<3

mmattdude135

mmattdude135

Hey there matty, Have you heard of Scullcap Aka mad dog :)
Used by some tribes of Native American Indians.
Traditionally used as a sedative.
I believe It has been used in the treatment of rabies and schizophrenia.
You're welcome.

<3
Scullcap sound like an interesting herbal nervous system remedy. Like you said it is a mild sedative. I also read it has been used for thousands of years and it helps reduce anxiety and helps promote sleep. If it helps treat Schizophrenia, as you believe it does, I would be very interested in it. I will ask my doctor about it.

Love My Soul

Love My Soul

ACCOUNT CLOSED
How's it going Matty, Did you give the old mad dog a try?
Just got some here, I will report back soon friend.
Take it easy.
<3

Love My Soul

Love My Soul

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Interesting a unexpected snap back to reality. I have been going a little heavy on the old recommended dosage, but yeah definite improvement. I haven't had peace of mind like this in a long time and completely grounded, its nice.
Report back soon friend.

<3

mmattdude135

mmattdude135

How's it going Matty, Did you give the old mad dog a try?
Just got some here, I will report back soon friend.
Take it easy.
<3
I am doing good, thanks! I will talk about Skullcap with my doctor next time I see her.

Interesting a unexpected snap back to reality. I have been going a little heavy on the old recommended dosage, but yeah definite improvement. I haven't had peace of mind like this in a long time and completely grounded, its nice.
Report back soon friend.

<3
Glad to hear it is working for you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Psychiatric Drugs/Medications 5