• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Best medication for depression

B

BlackLab98

Hi,
I have recently come off of taking sertraline which I had been taking for 5 years.
As they were just not helping me in anyway at all.
I have tried for 2 months now to be able to live without taking any medication but I spend everyday severely suicidal, depressed and unable to go too work.
I recently got a new job, new car and an amazing boyfriend. Yet I don't feel any better in myself at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what tablet would be best for me just so I can feel good enough to get out of bed and have some sort of life.

jajingna

jajingna

Nobody knows which is best for each person, it's all sort of experimental. Your doctor might have some idea, but it is still a guess to see if one works or not.

Welcome to the forum.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

welcome to the forum x different medications can work differently for different people
it can often be a matter of trial and error but eventually i think most people find a medication that suits them
i hope you do x love Lu x

J

Johnpalment0129

Perhaps you are just used to this drug.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Blacklab and welcome to the forum. It can take time to find the right antidepressant but do not worry as there will be one that suits you. Your doctor will work with you to find the right one. It would not be possible for somebody to recommend one as everybody responds differently to each medication.

B

BlackLab98

Thank you.
I really needed to come off the sertraline as it was making me feel completely numb everyday and took away my whole personality. Which I am now struggling to get back.
Does anyone have any tips to help too stop worrying about every little thing. I can't enjoy anything as I worry its going to be the last time I see that person :(

bpd2020

bpd2020

Thank you.
I really needed to come off the sertraline as it was making me feel completely numb everyday and took away my whole personality. Which I am now struggling to get back.
Does anyone have any tips to help too stop worrying about every little thing. I can't enjoy anything as I worry its going to be the last time I see that person :(
Anxiety can make us worry constantly. Have you ever had any therapy? It can help to teach you coping methods.

B

BlackLab98

Anxiety can make us worry constantly. Have you ever had any therapy? It can help to teach you coping methods.
Yeah I have had a lot of counselling and I talk to my friends regularly who have similar problems to me. It's hard to explain. Whilst you are talking to someone it helps, but the second they go, it's like a switch and I just go back to feeling the exact same

bpd2020

bpd2020

Yeah I have had a lot of counselling and I talk to my friends regularly who have similar problems to me. It's hard to explain. Whilst you are talking to someone it helps, but the second they go, it's like a switch and I just go back to feeling the exact same
That makes perfect sense. I think it is hard to learn how to ride out the anxious thoughts. I know for some they write them down and rationalise them. It is a method they use in CBT. I do not know if that would be helpful.

B

BlackLab98

I have just been refferred for CBT so hopefully that might help in some way

bpd2020

bpd2020

I have just been refferred for CBT so hopefully that might help in some way
That is really good to hear. CBT can be really helpful for anxiety. I am glad you are getting support.