• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

best information sites for bipolar

M

mickeymoo

What sites are good for information on bipolar?

oneday

oneday

:) Hi mickeymoo

I don't think I can answer the question as to what are the best info sites regarding bipolar - particularly cos I would need to know what information it is you want to find. If you say more about what you're looking for I might be able to think of other appropriate sites.... But three you might try:

MDF - The BiPolar Organisation (formerly k/a the Manic Depression Fellowship) - run by people with the diagnosis, and supporting a network of self help groups around the country. Website: www.mdf.org.uk Phone: 0845 634 0540. Email: [email protected]

Mind Website: www.mind.org.uk InfoLine: 0845 766 0163. Email: [email protected] The Mind website includes info booklets produced by Mind e.g. on bipolar/manic depression, on drugs including lithium and carbamazepine, on the 'antipsychotics' and antidepresants, on coming off medication, and a whole range of other things from looking after your mental wellbeing, to employment, to legal issues etc etc. You can also find out about a range of books available from Mind Publications via the site.

I'd also suggest seeking out alternative viewpoints to the diagnosis-and-medication one, and see if these makes sense to you... One example I particularly like:
Beyond Meds is a blog/website by Giannakali from the States, diagnosed with MD/bipolar who's been withdrawing from a cocktail of medications and gathers lots of interesting info and articles. Website: http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com And you can subscribe to and get emailed updates regularly.

Hope this is useful as a start.
Oneday

oneday

oneday

Wellness Recovery Action Plan

:) Hi, again

Another website? – Check out the Mental Health Recovery website:

http://www.mentalhealthrecovery.com/aboutus.php

For info about mental health recovery & the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) developed by Mary Ellen Copeland in the States.

Mary Ellen had a diagnosis of depression/bipolar herself and, as the site says, “experienced years of mental health challenges and has achieved long-term wellness and stability using these [WRAP] strategies."

She's written several books, including ‘WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan)’, and 'The Depression Workbook’ - involving “a simple self-help system for identifying personal resources and then using those resources to stay well and help you when you feel badly… books also available as CDs, DVDs, and in online courses.” And you can a lot for free online.

“Her work has changed the basic tenets of mental health as she has spoken the truth that people with mental health issues can have hope, control over their lives, develop self-directed wellness plans, and recover, working toward meeting their own life dreams and goals. These strategies and skills are being used in the worldwide mental health transformation movement.”