• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Best Anti-Psychotic medication for Paranoia? Catastrophic failure of Mental Health system!

The_Sun_Shines

The_Sun_Shines

Hi
It's now the 5th month since I first contacted the GP and took my wife to A&E to try getting a proper medication for her paranoia (persecutory delusions) from psychosis.

Up until now, doctors and social workers are still beating around the bush and not properly acknowledging or treating her paranoia psychosis.

She has been on the 'Home Treatment Team' and is now on the Primary Care Team and we recently attended the long awaited and greatly anticipated appointment with the Consultant Psychiatrist - which very sadly turned out to be a huge disappointment for both my wife and me.

By that evening I was hugging my wife in the dark with just the tea light candle she uses for praying because she thinks if the light is on people are watching her on hidden cameras. As a result of dealing with more corruption and twisted agendas of incompetant doctors/social workers, my wife was crying desperately telling me that she still believes in God - because these doctors giving us the run around for so long is making her question if her prayers for proper treatment will ever be answered. I'm angry at them and I am sad for her at the same time. She said if it weren't for my help these doctors would have killed her by now and to be honest she could well be right. Their treatment of her has been so terrible.

Since the beginning, we asked for Abilify to be her medication. BUT because the doctors got it into their heads that my wife has a "sleep disorder" - based ONLY on how I first called her GP asking for something to "help her sleep" BECAUSE OF HER 'PARANOID' ANXIETY!!! They refused to prescribe Abilify and instead focused on trying to cure her "sleep disorder".

THIS HAS BEEN A REAL ONGOING NIGHTMARE!

So they prescribed her with Quetiapine to ease her "Anxiety" and prescribed her with Mirtazapine to "ensure a straight nights sleep" - the THEORY being that if her paranoia was caused by an 'acute' stress-related episode then fixing the "sleep problem" would fix the paranoia.

WELL it has been several MONTHS now with her sleeping much better with the quetiapine and mirtazapine combo,
YET THE PARANOIA HAS 'ALWAYS' CONTINUED! This whole time she has continued to believe she is being watching on hidden cameras in her home and has been showering in the dark, drying her hair and brushing her teeth and praying in the dark, and purposely leaves lights off for fear of this delusion that she is being watched.

Her side effects of the Quetiapine (100mg daily) are stuffy nose, and drowsiness. The side effect of Mirtazapine is drowsiness. In the event of a full relapse of paranoid anxiety (that can last all day) I have observed that the night dose of Quetiapine (50mg) is not effective in stopping the relapse. Whereas the Mirtazpine (15 mg) tablet can stop the relapse in just under half an hour or so.

We don't want a higher dose of Quetiapine as she is already getting stuffy nose to the point of it being completely blocked and she doesn't want to feel too drowsy so that she can't exercise.

Abilify is, from what I've read and researched, the best Anti-Psychotic medication with the least amount of side effects reported and I keep hearing good things about it.

She had her gallbladder removed years ago because of stones and was told to take care of her liver since, advised not to drink alcohol, to limit her caffeine and avoid fatty foods. This is another concern of mine. She doesn't drink alcohol but she has a sweet tooth and likes cakes etc. She also enjoys baking cakes and painting on her good days.
My concern is that she is taking uneccesary medication for 'sleep troubles' when this is a mere side effect.

The result her consultant psychiatry appointment was terrible.
The doctor refused to prescribe her Abilify - saying "it can cause agitation" and instead she prescribed her with "RISPERIDONE" which from what I hear is a terrible drug that turns people into zombies, is highly addictive and hard to get off, as well as being linked to memory loss, no motivation and sucuidal thoughts!
AND the doctor is trying to make this REPLACE the ONLY drug that has helped keep her stable - Quetiapine! (despite its stuff nose and drowsy side effects).

ALSO the idiot doctor is STILL going with this (already exhausted) "cure the sleep - cure the paranoia" theory that has already been disproved! Becasue she has instructed my wife to take this at NIGHT BEFORE BED with the Mirtazapine!!!

So, we are now needing to contact her GP and tell them that she doesn't want this change and we need to contact her primary team to say we are not happy with this psychiatrist - who also had a very bad attitude and avoided answering my questions regarding flexibility in changing her meds back in the event of a relapse/crisis and couldn't wait to get me out of her room after just giving me a few minutes.

This psychiatrist also insisted to see my wife first seperately due to "COVID" - the same excuse we've heard all year!).
Resulting in my wife not knowing what to say, or how to properly be assertive in demanding what she needs and havign her issues and concerns heard. I even wrote out a guide sheet for her but as with teh previous social worker this was ignored by the psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist also didn't like giving me a minute alone with my wife after her session (just so I could ask her how it went) and when I seen her, this doctor tried to focus the entire 7-8 minute discussion with me on defining/labelling specifically what my relationship is with my wife and our living arrangement (because we were broken up for a time and rekindled). This doctor used psychology traps in the conversation with me and tried to suggest that I was being "too supportive" as if thats the problem! - which is just recycling what the previous doctors/social workers all tried to conspire together in accusing me of doing.

This doctor even suggested that I tried to trigger my wife by exposing her to stressful situations and seeing how she copes. Maybe if this doctor has to live with my wife she would know that this is the last thing I would want to do.

She also brought up all my wifes triggers, digging up the past which she has already explained ovr and over to previous doctors, and ultimately didn't help her and let my wife feel as if she had once again been decieved and diddled out of proper treatment by another evil doctor!

HELP!

On Fire

On Fire

Frequently NHS psychiatrists are useless. Some people are able to get on with them but others cannot. They tend to under diagnose schizophrenia. You could ask the Community Mental Health Team for a second opinion from a different psychiatrist.

On Fire

On Fire

NHS psychiatrists can over complicate their jobs by making up psychiatric conditions such as anxiety induced psychosis (which as far as I can tell is just schizophrenia by another name).

N

natalie

Hi All,

Well, I take Abilify, at 25ml, at the moment, I have been sleeping soundly, I mostly su ffer from time to time, with external mental health issues, such as intrusive thouights, for no appaarent reason, keeping in mind, I went to the States on holiday for many years with parents, and paranoia, overnighters this is.

Now that we don't go away unfortunately no more, it's mother her health related, and age, i am sleeping more soundly overnighters.

Abilify is the best med that there is.

In terms of anxiety or acute anxiety for future reference, I take Pregabalin, 75ml once or twice a day depending on ext ernal mental health issues. Internally, mental health wise, I am always fine.

And ask her to try to listen to music, maybe upon retiring at night, that might help.

I am sorry for what you are going through.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Maybe the mental health team have their noses put out of joint because you seem to them that you are doing their job by recommending meds etc.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Uh, I have been on risperidone and I never felt like a "zombie". Don't believe everything you read online. Every drug works well and differently on everyone because we all have a different brain chemistry. For example, risperidone worked really well on me, but abilify did nothing for me.
I stopped taking risperidone and when I relapsed it didn't work any more. Now clozapine works well for me. Some meds work for some and some don't. You need to keep trying different meds till you find the right one.

The_Sun_Shines

The_Sun_Shines

Uh, I have been on risperidone and I never felt like a "zombie". Don't believe everything you read online. Every drug works well and differently on everyone because we all have a different brain chemistry. For example, risperidone worked really well on me, but abilify did nothing for me.
I stopped taking risperidone and when I relapsed it didn't work any more. Now clozapine works well for me. Some meds work for some and some don't. You need to keep trying different meds till you find the right one.
I didn't say I believe everything I read online. Numerous comments on youtube videos about risperidone report zombie like states and no motivation to do anything. I'm asking questions to hear more opinions/patient experiences etc. Anyway, what works for one person may not work for another.

C

Chemstyle

I didn't say I believe everything I read online. Numerous comments on youtube videos about risperidone report zombie like states and no motivation to do anything. I'm asking questions to hear more opinions/patient experiences etc. Anyway, what works for one person may not work for another.
I would definitely recommend not to look into each drug too much for the reason you just mentioned that the reaction each person gets from each medication is different so it’s almost impossible to tell what medication will work best until you give them a try and see what works. Obviously I can only speak for my own experience so I may not be accurate but I found that psychiatrists can really make a meal out of each medication especially the side effects.
Good luck though and I hope your wife finds the right medication and treatment :)

The_Sun_Shines

The_Sun_Shines

Maybe the mental health team have their noses put out of joint because you seem to them that you are doing their job by recommending meds etc.
No it's because one of their sly doctors tried to get my wife to agree to being an inpatient and she was agreeing with what he was arranging because he wasn't clear. Luckily I was with her and I asked him to clarify if he meant her sleeping there as an inpatient.
As soon as he admitted this was what he was actually arranging, my wife objected and I backed up her objection as I already knew this was something she didn't want and would find very scary.
This arrogant doctor has literally just met her and the only reason we went to A&E was to see if we could get her diagnosis made and medication revised to a better one as she was only getting diazepam from her GP that I got for her to help put her to sleep at night as she couldn't sleep her paranoia and anxiety was so bad, and obviously neither could I.
This was also approaching another lockdown and Cobid rules meant no family visits to such places during tight lockdown restrictions. So this doctor was an idiot and very arrogant to think this is what she needed, when in fact she has been well looked after by me, better than any tea and toast from strangers routine at a hospital.
As it turned out we encountered a very creepy worker at this hospital with a major attitude problem, some sort of grandious control complex and probably a pervert.
So thank goodness we avoided her being made an inpatient there.
Anyway, ever since I helped her voice that concern, he made it a rule that I had to leave the room - in our own apartment, any time he or other doctors/nurses/social workers would do a home visit. He convinced the entire team that I was "interfeering" and from then on he made sure that everyone, even the switcboard phone call operator was rude to me and always asking who I am and why am I calling on my wifes behalf etc. I was being excluded and kept in the dark.
This was every day and was pure harassment that made her feel imprisoned in her own home always waiting for the next visit from another pair of strangers, never knowing who was going to come next, dressed in a mask, apron, rubber gloves and the usual covid gear...
Getting off the home treatment team was a big relief for both of us.
However, since this salty doctor put in every report that was made on the home treatment team - that I was a problem, now this new psychiatrist on the primary team has been acting very rude and her focus is on excluding me rather than helping my wife - same as the Home Treatment Team.
These people are a disgrace, utterly corrupt, like a bunch of donut eating cops who "Didn't see nothing" if their corrupt partner beat up a deaf man for not stopping when ordered to.

I actually hate them all. I mean "HATE".

The_Sun_Shines

The_Sun_Shines

Frequently NHS psychiatrists are useless. Some people are able to get on with them but others cannot. They tend to under diagnose schizophrenia. You could ask the Community Mental Health Team for a second opinion from a different psychiatrist.
They've been horrible toward me for months, ever since I helped my wife avoid being made an inpatient as this was one of her fears and would definitely not have helped her.
Especially during the lockdown with no visits.

I'm even looking into paying for private psychiatry sessions but need to know if their private psychiatrists can prescribe/change medication that her GP can then issue to us via the NHS for free.
Apparently private clinics have made a recent change that patients need a referral from their GP in order to be seen privately. Have you ever heard something so ridiculous?