• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefits

G

Greysunday

I recently had to re-apply for Incapacity Benefit which i got without a medical. I am now applying for Living Disability Living Allowance after advice from Welfare Rights. The lady i saw was wonderful, filled in the forms for me, asked all the right questions and was understanding, warm and friendly. Today i rang the Benefits line to add more info and i was stumbling words all over the place, repeating myself, in and out of reality. With someone who has OCD and Dissociative Disorder, i would never have been able to fill in those forms. My reality is not the DSS reality, it's difficult to find common ground. I recommend this service to anyone who needs the help

shaun3210

shaun3210

Welfare Rights also helped me get my benefits sorted :)

They removed my Incapacity Benefit and put me Jobseekers after a medical last summer, the lady I saw from Welfare Rights was great and very helpful she sorted out my appeal against being removed from Incapacity benefit in no time!

She also filled in the DLA form with me which can be a nightmare! and also told me to apply for Income support seeing I live alone, so now get free prescriptions ...etc! very good and helpful service! (y)

J

jekel1

hi

it can take a while for the dla to come through though so be prepared! i haqve been waiting 3 months due to my phyc doctor not filling in forms dla have sent to him. but they may put you on esa as thats what im on for bi polar

G

Greysunday

At least going via Welfare rights gives the best chance of receiving what is owing to you. I cannot think of many psych illnesses where filling in forms would be logical.

B

bobbiecat

benefits

i too go to welfare rights. they are good, i now get incap, income support and dla and a higher level of housing benefit than i did before :) :D :)

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Jekel1 - Dla and Esa are 2 separate different benefits.

When/if you apply for Dla that is the only benefit considered.

Greysunday, hope you do not mind me clarifing those 2 benefits, but wrong information was given. Good luck with your claim.

I hope you are well :hug:

G

Greysunday

I was only talking about DLA and IB of which Welfare Rights can help enormously. ESA, I know little about other than lot of people are forced onto it and it's conditions, otherwise they would have nothing to live on. People like us cannot take too much reality and it translates to benefit staff that we are somewhat lazy and disinterested in it all. That do not have the training or understanding to know what we are all suffering. Someone in a wheelchair will get a lot of consideration, but is our malady any less painful?