Benefits question

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Could I lose my benefits if I get less depressed and less scared in the future??? I want to improve, but I don't want to lose my benefits before I can work too. Please let me know. Thanks. :confused:

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
i don't want to worry you ,but certainly here in UK the government do everything they can to get people back to work before they are ready
it is so hard to get benefits now
i can't speak for your country though x

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Maybe try to save as much money then you have a bit of a buffer between ending benefits and getting a job. I don't know if that is possible.
How often do you get reassessed for benefits?

burt tomato

burt tomato

If you want to return to work someday, it is just a question of moving in the right direction. You do this, and eveyday you are moving a step closer to recovery.

I get benefits anxiety too.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

Maybe try to save as much money then you have a bit of a buffer between ending benefits and getting a job. I don't know if that is possible.
You get reassessed every two years for ESA but because of a backlog some get longer and others get reassessed every five years.

I'm not sure how long one gets PIP for, until the next reassessment.

N

notunderstanding

You get reassessed every two years for ESA but because of a backlog some get longer and others get reassessed every five years.

I'm not sure how long one gets PIP for, until the next reassessment.
Different people get assessed at different times for both ESA and PIP. E.g. it's not always every two years for ESA, could be shorter or longer or you might never be contacted again.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Here in the U.S.A. I get assessed every 5 to 7 years. My last assessment was 2 and a half years ago.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I am not ready to return to work yet. I just wanted to know that if I could lose my benefits if I get less depressed and scared in the future but just not enough to work??? :confused:

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
i haven't been assessed for esa for over 5 years but it is usually ,ore often
i could probably cope being assessed every 5-7 years but every 2-3 is a bit much to handle

i hope you find a way to stay on your benefits as you deserve them
Lu x

burt tomato

burt tomato

I get assessed every 18 months, but I have only been on ESA since 2014 - but I may be leaving it, if I start work.

F

Funnyday

My next assessment for PIP and ESA is in 2 and half years time. Next year I'm supposed to be transferred to Universal Income. So who knows what that will mean to how often I am assessed.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I think if you improved, they'd reassess you and yes may tell you have to work.
Hope I haven't worried you.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

That's not fair that they would do that only if you have improved a little bit. Improving a little bit doesn't mean enough to work to me. You would have to improve a lot! Thanks for the answer.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

That's not fair that they would do that only if you have improved a little bit. Improving a little bit doesn't mean enough to work to me. You would have to improve a lot! Thanks for the answer.
Hi,
It would depend on how much you had improved. If only a little bit I wouldn't worry.
Take care