Benefits of OCD?

T

TheBoyWithAWanderingMind

WOW, can you please explain in what ways it has :)
Hi!

If you were asking me to explain how OCD has helped my reasoning skills (if you weren't, I apologize for the awkwardness), I'd say that since it forces my mind in multiple directions, I consider all possibilities, all rights and wrongs, the consequences if I do or don't do, the impact it may or may not have on myself or the other person, etc. Basically, it has allowed me to see scenarios in many colors, rather than just black and white. While others may say or act before thinking, I think before I act but reason through all the details before hand. It can be mentally exhausting at times but I've found that if I'm jotting my thoughts down on paper, it really helps!

O

OCDguy

That sounds amazing, bit like when I'm contemplating my next chess move. If I am honest though I don't get the initial link to OCD...

T

TheBoyWithAWanderingMind

That sounds amazing, bit like when I'm contemplating my next chess move. If I am honest though I don't get the initial link to OCD...

Do you ever write your thoughts down? I'm not sure what kind of OCD you struggle with but for me, it's intrusive thoughts and troubling concepts that enter my mind and go 'round and 'round. It's so distressing but as I previously said, I write my thoughts and reasoning down and it relieves my mind of whatever was bothering me.

O

OCDguy

Generally I am able to muddle through, although if I have to remember several pieces of a jigsaw and re-arrange them, then yes I will turn to pen and paper, or a keyboard and screen :) Do you know why writing it down helps :)

T

TheBoyWithAWanderingMind

Generally I am able to muddle through, although if I have to remember several pieces of a jigsaw and re-arrange them, then yes I will turn to pen and paper, or a keyboard and screen :) Do you know why writing it down helps :)
Okay! So it sounds like you and I struggle similarly.

The reason I think writing it down helps so much is because it alleviates the mind of it's incessant need to remember, track and notate particular details (depending on whatever the struggle is). Putting it down on paper sort of has the same affect as talking to someone.

N

Neverhappy

I am a massive clean freak from having OCD in the past. My OCD wasnt even centred around cleaning. But thats the only positive thing. Even then because I like it to be done just so, I get irritated and snappy if its not done like that, or people are in my way or messing it up. So maybe there are zero benefits. Unless you wanted to find a way that wasted so much time unproductively!