Benefits of OCD?

K

kimkim210

Hi all,

This is a little bit unusual as seen in the title of this thread.

But before I ask, here is a brief introduction: I am currently a male college freshman who has been a sufferer of OCD all my life (as well as anxiety/hypochondria but we'll save that for later). My biggest obsessions in regards to OCD are fear of germs and always having perfection/symmetry. In regards to compulsions, I repeatedly check things over...and over...and over...and over again (the usual OCD stuff hehe). I once hit the lock button on my car 15 times in a row just to be safe that my car was locked, went back into my dorm, and then came back out to lock it another 5 times JUST TO BE SAFE. Mind you, it is not a close walk. My brain was saying "Are you sure you locked your car? What if you hit unlock while your keys were in your pocket? You should check just to be sure. Did you close all the windows in your car too? What if it rains and ruins your entire interior?"

ANYWAYS, I wanted to ask you all, do you see any benefits of having OCD? I know this is quite a bizarre question, but who says us as OCD peeps cannot enjoy what makes us...us! For me personally, I think the greatest perk in having OCD is when it comes to school. Because of my constant fear of missing a deadline, I always have reminders set and have never turned in anything late. In writing, I am able to see any small little typo/irregularity and fix it immediately. It is like having an automatic grammar-check instilled in my head. My writing is very neat and appropriately spaced/formatted. I have gotten many compliments in my papers/discussions thus far for having sophisticated, concise, and error-free writing.

Another benefit I see is when it comes to sanitation/cleanliness: I am very sanitary and well-cleansed. I always tidy up hygiene-wise and take good care of my body. My laundry is always done weekly or when needed. My room is always in top-notch shape, my bed is always made, and the floors are always clean. My friends love to come into my dorm room to just enjoy the sight of actually having a clean room.

Now, I want to be very clear that I know OCD is not something to undermine and downplay. As an OCD sufferer myself, it is very debilitating and stressful; I wanted to post this to hopefully shed a small light on OCD and help all of us know that we can make good out of what seems bad. OCD, or any mental illness for that matter, does not make one less significant or important. We can all make the most out of what makes us...us.

Cheers to all and hopefully we can share some thoughts! :)

F

FrightenedbyEverything

Regular OCD...well, you might be able to keep things clean. POCD like I have? Not in the least. It messes you up like hell and never lets you go no matter what you do. At least for me.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Perhaps take control. If the world won't stop if you don't do something, don't do it. Could it be you just like being busy? Perhaps look at doing something more creative and inspirational with your time ;)

Skynet

Skynet

Do not kid yourself: maybe OCD does have some benefits but they are greatly outweighed by the costs. For me, the biggest costs are the distress OCD causes and the time that is wasted performing the compulsions.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I have ocd but in a relatively mild and unharmful way. Pretty much like yourself , the worst part for me if you can call it the anguish it causes me in wanting to stop doing these things like counting everything in site. But ocd comes in many forms and for some people it’s a nightmare like the previous posters have said . It can be very damaging to you and your family if your rituals are affecting them.

hicks

hicks

Do not kid yourself: maybe OCD does have some benefits but they are greatly outweighed by the costs. For me, the biggest costs are the distress OCD causes and the time that is wasted performing the compulsions.
Totally agree. My daughter takes a minimum of 30 minutes every time she uses the toilet, mainly due to compulsive repeated hand washing. Basically everything takes about 10 times longer than normal. It has a massive effect on the whole family.
I can't think of any direct benefits of chronic OCD.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I agree with what you are saying :) I can't help but think channeling that energy onto a more productive and stimulating activity could make a difference (assuming that is a possible)...

A

ate

People with ocd are the most difficult targets for pocket thieves, i check my wallet hundreds of times a day and concentrate on its weight in the back pocket. Only benefit.
I also rarely lose stuff

T

TheBoyWithAWanderingMind

Hi all,

This is a little bit unusual as seen in the title of this thread.

But before I ask, here is a brief introduction: I am currently a male college freshman who has been a sufferer of OCD all my life (as well as anxiety/hypochondria but we'll save that for later). My biggest obsessions in regards to OCD are fear of germs and always having perfection/symmetry. In regards to compulsions, I repeatedly check things over...and over...and over...and over again (the usual OCD stuff hehe). I once hit the lock button on my car 15 times in a row just to be safe that my car was locked, went back into my dorm, and then came back out to lock it another 5 times JUST TO BE SAFE. Mind you, it is not a close walk. My brain was saying "Are you sure you locked your car? What if you hit unlock while your keys were in your pocket? You should check just to be sure. Did you close all the windows in your car too? What if it rains and ruins your entire interior?"

ANYWAYS, I wanted to ask you all, do you see any benefits of having OCD? I know this is quite a bizarre question, but who says us as OCD peeps cannot enjoy what makes us...us! For me personally, I think the greatest perk in having OCD is when it comes to school. Because of my constant fear of missing a deadline, I always have reminders set and have never turned in anything late. In writing, I am able to see any small little typo/irregularity and fix it immediately. It is like having an automatic grammar-check instilled in my head. My writing is very neat and appropriately spaced/formatted. I have gotten many compliments in my papers/discussions thus far for having sophisticated, concise, and error-free writing.

Another benefit I see is when it comes to sanitation/cleanliness: I am very sanitary and well-cleansed. I always tidy up hygiene-wise and take good care of my body. My laundry is always done weekly or when needed. My room is always in top-notch shape, my bed is always made, and the floors are always clean. My friends love to come into my dorm room to just enjoy the sight of actually having a clean room.

Now, I want to be very clear that I know OCD is not something to undermine and downplay. As an OCD sufferer myself, it is very debilitating and stressful; I wanted to post this to hopefully shed a small light on OCD and help all of us know that we can make good out of what seems bad. OCD, or any mental illness for that matter, does not make one less significant or important. We can all make the most out of what makes us...us.

Cheers to all and hopefully we can share some thoughts! :)

In my case, I've found that dealing with obsessive thoughts has really sharpened my reasoning ability.

OCDguy

OCDguy

WOW, can you please explain in what ways it has :)

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

What’s worse than OCD is POCD( Pure Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) nothing beneficial to it but the torture of intrusive thoughts. Maybe just being too aware and too careful but that’s very exhausting and overwhelming.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Then someone needs to take control of them, possibly by creating a focus on something and learning to discount/discard or simply say stop/enough when these thoughts pop up...

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Then someone needs to take control of them, possibly by creating a focus on something and learning to discount/discard or simply say stop/enough when these thoughts pop up...
That doesn’t work at least it dOesnt for me although mine is only counting. I can be counting as chopping carrots and tell myself to stop counting. It’s stops me for a second then I start counting again. Most annoying

hicks

hicks

That doesn’t work at least it dOesnt for me although mine is only counting. I can be counting as chopping carrots and tell myself to stop counting. It’s stops me for a second then I start counting again. Most annoying
Why do you do it though? What compels you to? Do you think something bad is going to happen if you don't? Do you get anxious?

OCDguy

OCDguy

Stop worked once, momentarily, but worked ;) You know it will start again, so preempt it, and learn to distract yourself momentarily before it starts again. Eventually you will take control of the situation, and be able to move on :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Why do you do it though? What compels you to? Do you think something bad is going to happen if you don't? Do you get anxious?
I have no idea. I’ve done it since I was a child for as long as I can remember .I remember my mum telling me when I was a child I had counted the number of spots that were on the bedroom curtains. Used to know how may gates and lamppost there were on my way to school. And the number has no significance whatsoever as I can restart the count again without getting upset. My pdoc has told me its one of the most common forms of Ocd. I even count my food going into the shopping trolly Then on the conveyer belt. Then in the bag. It is annoying but doesn’t disrupt my day or anyone else’s

OCDguy

OCDguy

I wonder if it stems from the learning to count process, too much emphasis on it... I say this as my Partner's Grandchild seems to be reciting 1 to 10 parrot fashion!

hicks

hicks

I have no idea. I’ve done it since I was a child for as long as I can remember .I remember my mum telling me when I was a child I had counted the number of spots that were on the bedroom curtains. Used to know how may gates and lamppost there were on my way to school. And the number has no significance whatsoever as I can restart the count again without getting upset. My pdoc has told me its one of the most common forms of Ocd. I even count my food going into the shopping trolly Then on the conveyer belt. Then in the bag. It is annoying but doesn’t disrupt my day or anyone else’s
Thanks. Reason for asking is that I'm trying to understand my daughter's OCD. I think it's different to yours, because you seem to have had it for a long time. Whereas my daughter did not used to do the things she now does. This includes -

Excessive hand washing - to the point of making her hands red raw
Obsessive worrying about contamination
Obsessively placing objects so as not to contaminate other things
Touching clothes in a repeated routine over and over

She has been diagnosed as high functioning autistic. But the OCD is surely a result of anxiety. I guess we have to get to the bottom of what is causing that.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks. Reason for asking is that I'm trying to understand my daughter's OCD. I think it's different to yours, because you seem to have had it for a long time. Whereas my daughter did not used to do the things she now does. This includes -

Excessive hand washing - to the point of making her hands red raw
Obsessive worrying about contamination
Obsessively placing objects so as not to contaminate other things
Touching clothes in a repeated routine over and over

She has been diagnosed as high functioning autistic. But the OCD is surely a result of anxiety. I guess we have to get to the bottom of what is causing that.
You daughters is totally different to mine. Much more serious The only time mine got really bad was when I was psychotic and I couldn’t touch handles so always carried tissue and hand sanitizers. One odd thing that I did was on the washing of hands, once I turned the tap off the tap was then contaminated again so I had to wash them again. I so the ritual kept on going that’s where the tissues came in to help me switch the tap off without contamination.

Is your daughter getting any treatment or therapy for her ocd. . I thing cbt could help her.

hicks

hicks

You daughters is totally different to mine. Much more serious The only time mine got really bad was when I was psychotic and I couldn’t touch handles so always carried tissue and hand sanitizers. One odd thing that I did was on the washing of hands, once I turned the tap off the tap was then contaminated again so I had to wash them again. I so the ritual kept on going that’s where the tissues came in to help me switch the tap off without contamination.

Is your daughter getting any treatment or therapy for her ocd. . I thing cbt could help her.
We've had some sessions with CAMHS, but that wasn't a very good experience, and it hasn't really helped. I'm hoping we can find a more capable therapist by being referred through my work medical plan.
I feel it would do her the power of good if she could find just one friend to connect with. She is very isolated and has absolutely no peer friends.