• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefits mental health

Lara

Lara

Ok, I was diagnosed with BPD and mod to severe depression about 6 years ago. in that time I've had great difficulty controlling my urges to just jack in work becuase I cant handle it any more or because I'm too depressed to want to do anything, the only reason I'm still in work is becuase I need the money, My mum also has metal health issues and is a full time carer for my physically disabled brother we are supported by benefits mostly and my low income. the pressure I feel to keep this going is driving me under.

Can I claim any benefits myself is case my job does down the toilet? I'm really stuggling and I'm going to ask to be refered back to my local mental health centre. I dont know what to do.

W

wilzy

Hi Lara - sorry to hear that you are finding things hard at work as a result of your depression.

I am not quite sure what it was you said that you had difficulty controlling at work?

Lara

Lara

my temper and just general motivation, I also have tendancies to be quite sardonic. I dont ment to be. it makes work very difficult and the last thing I want to have to do is to explain my illness to my collegues who wont comprehend the volility of it.

W

wilzy

No doubt your temper and motivation in general is somewhat inhibited from the feelings you have. Explaining the situation to others can feel risky, since you're worried about whether they will understand and also how they will respond. It's a tough one isn't it :(

Have you spoken to a doctor or someone like that about your concerns related to work?

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

The only benefit I know of is Employment and Support Allowance. This covers medical problems and mental health problems that mean you can't work. You get £50 a week for the first 13 weeks and then it goes up (I'm not sure how much).

To claim that benefit, you need to fill out the form and get a sick note from your doctor proving you inibility to work - which means (obviously) you can't work at the same time as claiming ESA. But it's always an option if you were to be out of work.

That's the only thing I know about benefits. I know income support can be granted to people in work and in full-time education (I'm on income support cause I'm in full time education at university) but I don't know the exact conditions in which they award it to people in work. I guess it's if you're on low income. But that could be worth checking out too.

Hope this helps :)

Emily.x

N

Nutter_09

I have just applied for the Employment & support allowence.
Hope it dont take too long, been off work since about March with no financial help (very large overdraft now!!)

Its worth looking into.

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

I hate how they take ages to verify it.

Mine took just over a month, but mine took longer than usual.

Emily.x

dib4uk

dib4uk

Ok, I was diagnosed with BPD and mod to severe depression about 6 years ago. in that time I've had great difficulty controlling my urges to just jack in work becuase I cant handle it any more or because I'm too depressed to want to do anything, the only reason I'm still in work is becuase I need the money, My mum also has metal health issues and is a full time carer for my physically disabled brother we are supported by benefits mostly and my low income. the pressure I feel to keep this going is driving me under.

Can I claim any benefits myself is case my job does down the toilet? I'm really stuggling and I'm going to ask to be refered back to my local mental health centre. I dont know what to do.
Aww hon,

BPD is soo hard to deal with and you have my total understanding, and yes because its such a complex condition- ranging? from paranoid times to hostility and being the lonliest? person in the world.

I understand :D, and yes you should be getting Employment and support allowance.... I know overdrafts are a pain- useful when working but a pain when not, if it gets too much for you change banks thats what i've done.. If you also find that your spending habbits change- u know what i mean? then it might be worthwhile talking about this to a professional.

M

maudikie

Lara.

You can claim benefits, but get advice about this, probably from the Citizens advice bureau:)

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Hi Lara, I get confused by all these abriviations so does BPD mean Bipolar disorder or does it mean Border Personality disorder? Either way the sickness route to benefit is as follows:

Means tested route: ESA (Which since the end of 2008) replaces the old incapacity/income support for sickness benefit route. Depending on your income Housing Benefit Council Tax benefit.

Non- means tested (which you can claim even if you work) 16-65 Disability living allowance over 65 Attendance allowance.

Seek professional advice from your local CAB or law centre.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hi Lara, I get confused by all these abriviations so does BPD mean Bipolar disorder or does it mean Border Personality disorder? Either way the sickness route to benefit is as follows:

Means tested route: ESA (Which since the end of 2008) replaces the old incapacity/income support for sickness benefit route. Depending on your income Housing Benefit Council Tax benefit.

Non- means tested (which you can claim even if you work) 16-65 Disability living allowance over 65 Attendance allowance.

Seek professional advice from your local CAB or law centre.
Yes BPD mean Borderline Personality Disorder.

BP= bi-pola.

If you are feeling too stressed at work- the easiest way is to go to your doctor say to them you cant cope anymore, etc... and they can write you a sick note.

Yeah that was the only reason why I stayed at my job cause i needed the money, I'm in debt, etc, but, i was at the point that if I went in for one more day, I wouldnt wake up the next day.

If you can cope then just take things easily, i dont really know your situation, so speak to your general practicioner and welfare benefit advisers.

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
hi lara
when you have asked your gp to refer you the mental health centre ask for a support worker or a social worker. They can keep an eye on you and help you with your questions.
you could also try the charities rethink and mind, fone their helpline or go onto their web address

goodluck
:)