• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefits, help, debt & employment

R

RollingJovi

Hi there,

I am currently under the Mental Health Crisis team and am signed off work, I only to receive statoury sick pay which will be just enough to cover my rent for the month but, I have credit card payments and so on to cover and am unaware of what my options are.

I would be probably looking to go bankrupt as I have quite a lot of debt and just wondered if anyone knew of any options/benefits that I could apply for. I have not had a diagnosis as of yet so I guess applying for benefits will be hard.

I do not feel comfortable with returning to work as of yet and I feel that this all part of a plan to get me and bring me down more. The pressure is building and I am very scared :( if anyone could advise me it would be of great help or at least point me in the right direction I would be most appreciated.

S

smokinghorse

benfits

Hi, first of all don't panic, you may be able to get housing benefit, and community charge benefit.
Also record how much you are getting then record your out goings like gas, electric, community charge, rent, food, and tv license. They are the most important to pay. If you have anything over (lol), then look at your credit cards as you can't go to prison for those. Citizens advice is a fantastic resource. Do not be embarrassed as there is a queue outside them all because of debt and most of the population are in the same boat, if that is any consolation. Going bankrupt should only be last resort, there are two types, I can not remember thier names but one costs a lot of money (thats if you are in debt of tens of thousands) and the other one costs £90 but for a much lower amount of debt, please check this out. What I strongly suggest is not to put your head in the sand, the longer you leave it the worse it gets.

R

RollingJovi

Many thanks

Hi Smokinghorse,

Many thanks for your information it actually makes me feel a bit better knowing that something is possibly able to be done as I fear losing everything.

I am going to book an appointment at the Citizens advice bureau and find out what things I can go through.

Many thanks again.

If anyone else has anymore information or help they can advise me on, then it would be most appreciated.

S

smokinghorse

Benefits

Hi glad you feel a little better, also tell your crisis team as thay can help as well