• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefits for mentally ill in UK and living on my own.

L

LoserForLife

Ok so, uh... Dunno if I'm doing the right thing by posting here but I honestly don't know what else to do. I thought that some of you might know more or at least have some ideas for me.
So, I'm 20 and am living with my family. I have social anxiety, depression, paranoia and avoidant personality disorder, so as you can probably guess, I'm not studying or working at the moment. And I don't mean the quarantine - even before that. I'd like to move out, because I believe living on my own would be essential to start healing. Long story short, living with my family isn't good for my health. But here's the problem: since I obviously can't work even though I'd love to, I have no money of my own. I'd like to know if any of you know what I could do in this situation and what kind of benefits I could get (I live in Scotland).
I feel like a goddamn loser for just wanting benefits but it's the only way I can see myself getting out of here. I have no one else who could help me, no other family, no friends. I have plans to start a therapy and am on medication but I want to actually start getting better and as long as I live with my family, I don't think that'll happen. Every one step, I take five steps back and it's only because I'm living with my family, which makes me feel hopeless.
I can explain more if needed.
I feel completely stuck so I'll take any advice you can give me.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. You are not a loser by wanting benefits. If we are unwell that we have no other choice. I can understand you wanting to move out of your family home. I was only able to improve when I did that too. I found information about applying for housing.

I am pretty sure you are entitled to ESA. You would just need to apply.

I hope that helps.

L

LoserForLife

Hello and welcome to the forum. You are not a loser by wanting benefits. If we are unwell that we have no other choice. I can understand you wanting to move out of your family home. I was only able to improve when I did that too. I found information about applying for housing.

I am pretty sure you are entitled to ESA. You would just need to apply.

I hope that helps.
Hi and thank you!
If you don't mind me asking, were you working/studying when you moved out? And do you think I'd be able to move out and live on my own without actually working (at least till I'm able to)? I mean, I feel pretty useless already as it is and I'd feel guilty only spending my time on therapy and improving my health instead of, y'know... earning money, but it's the only thing I can think of that could work.

I

indigo6

First of all not a loser for claiming benefits, I know of people who have that perception but their main gripe is feeling hard done to for working (and earning good money!!) and paying taxes, which they dont if they can get away with it so theyre whining hypocrites in a way.
That you have recognised that you wont get better in your situation and want to remove that which is causing you harm is great, hopeful. You are on your way to being better and stronger. Take it easy, use your GP and other services for support too.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hi and thank you!
If you don't mind me asking, were you working/studying when you moved out? And do you think I'd be able to move out and live on my own without actually working (at least till I'm able to)? I mean, I feel pretty useless already as it is and I'd feel guilty only spending my time on therapy and improving my health instead of, y'know... earning money, but it's the only thing I can think of that could work.
No, I have been unable to work due to my mental health. I lived in temporary accommendation before the council offered me a flat. I am sad you feel guilty for not working. If your mental health is struggling then that must come first. Working will only add to the distress you feel. In England you would get housing benefit. I am not sure how it is in Scotland but hopefully the links will tell you.

P

pollypocket88

Hi I agree with other posts your not a looser at all . Because your on your own there is quite a few benefit options availiable to your self like esa , pip and housing benefit and reduced council tax . My mental illness has prevented me from working because of my partners income I can only get pip which im
Still waiting to hear from them . I know it’s hard when you have mental illness looking into these things but we all need help when we are not well .

I

iyashinoegao

@LoserForLife
I'm sorry your going through a situation like this it must be very hard. Even harder when family isn't helping or caring much I've sceen that with people over the years I've spoken too with no family or friend support. I think with these peoples advice they given you it could or will help you, at least I hope in your situation. I wish you luck and hope things are better for you even if just a little right now. Try your best to stay strong and take care of yourself best you can. I've seen on here people do help each other, supportive and understanding as well. Here you'll have support I think if your alone. I don't work at all due to my mental health and another thing I keep private, sorry. So if you can't work and something like disability is available in Scotland or similar try apliying for it if you can. It will help you out it works different here were I reside, however might be better for you who knows.

Try to stay strong best you can and take each day little by little one step at a time. I wish you the best please take care~