Benefits been stopped.

B

Beverley

I have suffered with depression since I was 15 when I had my 1st child. I had a few major issues going on from my earlier youth but gradually I had periods of good days and this went on throughout my life. A few times I was admitted to hospital and was involved with the crisis team. I was getting threw each day feeling better some days and Some days I wouldn't even get out of bed, it wasn't unusual for me to go to the local chemist for My daily medication in my pyjamas. Then 3 years ago my youngest Son who was 13 year old was being bullied and found it so hard to deal with he took his own life which has had a massive impact on my mental health state so much so that I never opened letters or got dressed I refused to eat. I was a mess. Around my Sons 16th birthday I was due for a medical and I ended up missing the appointment as I misplaced the letter that my daughter opened and we did try to find out when it was for unfortunately I had missed the appointment and had to give an explanation why. I then received a letter to say I would still receive my benefits as before this was in July 2016 and in September 2016 my claim was closed and I had to apply for a mandatory reconsideration which I was refused. So I asked for someone at a church to help me so they went and spoke to the management who said they would overturn the decision, after many phone calls I finally got my decision which was no change so now I am still with out money, so I don't have any heating or hot water and I have to go to a tribunal which I have no idea what to do can anyone help?

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Beverly,:welcome:

I am so sorry to hear that,that your son killed himself,how distressing that must have been for you all.
I can understand you not opening letter and missing appointments,it must be devastating still.
I am sorry they have stopped your benefits ,you can't go without heating and hot water in the winter or any other time come to that.I wonder if you can go to the job centre and request a hardship payment,it wouldn't be much but it would help you get a few bits and get to the tribunal.
I think that is worth a try,or if you have relatives that you could ask for a loan?
Hopefully this will be sorted in your favour and you will get a lump sum of backdated monies owed.
I don't know if this advice is helpful I hope so,try and stay calm and focused and this will get sorted.

L

letmein

I have suffered with depression since I was 15 when I had my 1st child. I had a few major issues going on from my earlier youth but gradually I had periods of good days and this went on throughout my life. A few times I was admitted to hospital and was involved with the crisis team. I was getting threw each day feeling better some days and Some days I wouldn't even get out of bed, it wasn't unusual for me to go to the local chemist for My daily medication in my pyjamas. Then 3 years ago my youngest Son who was 13 year old was being bullied and found it so hard to deal with he took his own life which has had a massive impact on my mental health state so much so that I never opened letters or got dressed I refused to eat. I was a mess. Around my Sons 16th birthday I was due for a medical and I ended up missing the appointment as I misplaced the letter that my daughter opened and we did try to find out when it was for unfortunately I had missed the appointment and had to give an explanation why. I then received a letter to say I would still receive my benefits as before this was in July 2016 and in September 2016 my claim was closed and I had to apply for a mandatory reconsideration which I was refused. So I asked for someone at a church to help me so they went and spoke to the management who said they would overturn the decision, after many phone calls I finally got my decision which was no change so now I am still with out money, so I don't have any heating or hot water and I have to go to a tribunal which I have no idea what to do can anyone help?
are you on Facebook? there's are some great support groups there for this issue.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi
The local citizens advice bureau should be able to help you with your benefit situation. I'm so sorry this has happened, I hope you get your money back really soon.
Take care

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Hi
The local citizens advice bureau should be able to help you with your benefit situation. I'm so sorry this has happened, I hope you get your money back really soon.
Take care
in my area theres a no of organisations that haven't officially closed but are continuing because it's in the nature of organisations to continue, they all because they can't provide a service refer people to the cab which can't cope

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Your local Welfare Right's officers may be able to help...
what local welfare rights officers some people don't seem to realise the extent of the cuts

C

Coast2

Hi Beverley,

I'm not surprised that you missed your appointment - you've been trying to cope while having a major depressive episode, possibly with early onset psychosis.

This can be sorted.

You need to appeal the decision.

You need to ask for your Drs help, by means of a letter to explain your recent medical history and why you didn't make the appointment.

You should also see your Dr about your health. Are you seeing a psychologist, and are you on any medication given all that's happened to you.

Have you spoken with CAB?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i phoned the cab when i got the esa50 said i was schitzoprenic, guy said he'd spoken to his boss and they couldn't help me told me to contaty mencap i said it's a totally different illness for gods sake he said you don't have to swear

So i'd rather not hear that blase answer contact the cab, in my area all the organisations have been cut can't provide a service and say contact the cab which can't cope with demand

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

yes CAB are good if you can get to access them. they mostly do odd times in odd places these days. and its very sporadic.. the local council will know if you are fortunate to have them at all.

in the past i have got frustrated with them because of them being so swamped with desperate people needing help and guidance. and had to remind myself not to get very angry due to sheer frustration.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
That's why they are called 'Welfare Rights, you should find them within your local council offices.
i don't know where your living but your exprience of your local council differs from mine, my girlfriend with learning difficulties recently contacted the council about housing they gave her some web site adress as she can;t use the internet she came to me, i tried the web site went dead

amathus

amathus

I've just checked the main welfare rights website and it says it is being updated..
but local council welfare rights seem to be available.. where are you?

My local welfare rights was with Flintshire CC in North Wales, one of their staff helped me out on two occasions with the dreaded ESA form.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
probably getting funding from the welsh assembly i'm in brent london, they're struggleing with what for london is a large no of needy people, including those displaced from westminster with brent connections to quote one housing officer

Was telling one women i had a nice flat she said i'd like to be in your flat a giveaway, the women is probably facing the bedroom tax plus the max benefit income, after all these years living with rapists and murderers next door in social housing with friends sugggesting private, it's now proved to be for the best

V

Verbena

See your GP and if they do not help, go to the hospital. Someone will have to listen and help you. Psychiatrists can help with housing issues and lots of things. They have written to my landlord before about damp and mice. Many wont be helpful but sometimes they can be. I wasn't even a client at the time!

I am so sorry about your son and the problems you have had. Is it 6 months until you can reapply for esa? Can you claim jsa, say you will look for work, and then get a fit note from your gp to excuse you from looking for work? Someone i know did that.

CAB might help. Anything is worth a try.

i_must_be_mad

i_must_be_mad

Is it ESA the benefit.

You don't actually say.

Unfortunately this is a common scenario both for ESA and PIP.

Have heard many are almost automatically downgraded or removed from certain benefits because assessors get bonuses to keep the numbers down. Although 69% win appeals, but lots don't appeal. A stupid way facilitating the process IMO.

Have schizophrenia myself and have been recently been put in the ESA work related activity group so benefits downgraded from support group but still no real help in securing employment. I asked for a report from my assessment and when I received it a month or so later I was eligible for a mandatory reconsideration and if disagreed could have appealed but chose not to, as agreed with my specific report.

I do think though perhaps you may have simply said to jobcentre missed appointment due to being disorganised but perhaps you forgot or they simply did not hear how the stresses of the anniversary of your son's passing affected your mental health greatly and quite naturally too of course.

I think this is absolutely dreadful for you but I do think if with support you can get over to them the immense distress this time of year causes for you, they truly must reimburse you in full, backdated to start of when they reduced your benefits because of sanctions.

I got a very big sum backdated some years ago after initially been turned down for dla and then appealing, but admit the system is dreadful completely.

The reason for missing appointment if they truly know the actual reason is anniversary of sons passing as opposed to simply being disorganised then I can see no reason whatsoever that your claim can be completely reinstated and the loss benefits due to sanction can be reimbursed.

In the meantime I believe you can be eligible for a hardship loan which will enable you to keep up with food and bills till hopefully they will give you backdated reimbursement.

Either cab or if there is a mental health advocacy service in your area (maybe google search) who can support you, help you with forms and communications with dwp as know when under severe stress we do know you need extra help with communications etc.

I hope things sort themselves out soon completely.

Best wishes

I_must_be_mad.☺

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Other 8