• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefits and Student finance

Funnyday

Funnyday

If I was to do a 3-year full time degree in Psychology. Would I still be able to claim ESA, PIP, and housing benefits in addition to a student loan?

Anyone with a diagnosis with Schizophrenia doing a full-time course?

How about if you were to do the course part-time. How would this affect benefits etc?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think receiving a bursary would affect benefits but a loan, i have no idea.

If you do not get any answers here, you could go to the SLC website.

Would you study via OU or a university?

Funnyday

Funnyday

At a University.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i was at uni full time i got a grant, which with turning up at the housing dept and saying i'm schitzoprenic that means i do weird things under stress and your causing me stress, well it got me a bit of housing benefit

there were people doing it part time and getting benefits it was a very long time ago

the benefit enquiry line said if you can do a degree full time your fit for work

Funnyday

Funnyday

I've been looking into it some more. I would most probably do an Open degree part-time with the OU. It all depends if I can get student finance or not. I should get credit for prior study meaning that I start in the 2nd year full time or 3rd year part-time.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
maybe if you had a social worker suppporting you but for that you need to count as a priority

i did a ou course the support worker suggested i get a psychiatrists letter saying it was therepeutic then the psychiatrists secretary said she didn't have the time, i paid rather than have the dwp know and say it won't effect your benefits then 6 months later cut them as i was assumed better, anyway i failed. in those days the dwp would pay don't know now

Last edited by a moderator: