• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefits and Student finance

Funnyday

Funnyday

If I was to do a 3-year full time degree in Psychology. Would I still be able to claim ESA, PIP, and housing benefits in addition to a student loan?

Anyone with a diagnosis with Schizophrenia doing a full-time course?

How about if you were to do the course part-time. How would this affect benefits etc?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think receiving a bursary would affect benefits but a loan, i have no idea.

If you do not get any answers here, you could go to the SLC website.

Would you study via OU or a university?

Funnyday

Funnyday

At a University.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i was at uni full time i got a grant, which with turning up at the housing dept and saying i'm schitzoprenic that means i do weird things under stress and your causing me stress, well it got me a bit of housing benefit

there were people doing it part time and getting benefits it was a very long time ago

the benefit enquiry line said if you can do a degree full time your fit for work

Funnyday

Funnyday

I've been looking into it some more. I would most probably do an Open degree part-time with the OU. It all depends if I can get student finance or not. I should get credit for prior study meaning that I start in the 2nd year full time or 3rd year part-time.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
maybe if you had a social worker suppporting you but for that you need to count as a priority

i did a ou course the support worker suggested i get a psychiatrists letter saying it was therepeutic then the psychiatrists secretary said she didn't have the time, i paid rather than have the dwp know and say it won't effect your benefits then 6 months later cut them as i was assumed better, anyway i failed. in those days the dwp would pay don't know now

Last edited by a moderator: