• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefit fraud with bi polar

B

Bobmarley121

Hi I've just signed up to this because I need help. My other half has been charged with benefit fraud for over £7000 she's got bi polar and has 2 kids. We were separated and it hit her hard especially the bi polar got alot worse because of it so I couldn't sit back and watch my family really struggle because of it so we agreed I could help out and come round to help around the kids and house for a few hours a day. The trouble was I started to go round longer hours and on the end we were reported for suspected benefit fraud. They interviewed my other half and with bi polar panicked and denied all, I was then interviewed and explained what had happened. The evidence they had was that my other half said I was living with her parents which i wasn't and had gone round to ask and her father said I hadn't lived there ever! I was living with my brother. I stupidly gave my go address to my other halfs address while I wasn't living there. She's been charged because of all this and due in court jan 6th. She's so worried and her bi polar has been the worse it's ever been. I need advice on what to do in court and can someone tell me what's gonna happen to her. Should she plead guilty or not guilty? Kind regards

B

Bobmarley121

Sorry I ment stupidly gave my gp address*

S

supergreysmoke

Be completely honest. Never mess them about. On benefits you are talking a few quid a week to pay it back. But perjury is gonna be prison. They don't like being lied too. If your open and honest you'll get more help.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I have to agree with greysmoke, I think on this occasion honesty is the best policy.
They appreciate it when someone is honest.

You could always talk to the citizen's advice, as I don't think anybody here is an expert on this sort of thing.

Hope things work out for the best.