• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Benefit fraud with bi polar

B

Bobmarley121

Hi I've just signed up to this because I need help. My other half has been charged with benefit fraud for over £7000 she's got bi polar and has 2 kids. We were separated and it hit her hard especially the bi polar got alot worse because of it so I couldn't sit back and watch my family really struggle because of it so we agreed I could help out and come round to help around the kids and house for a few hours a day. The trouble was I started to go round longer hours and on the end we were reported for suspected benefit fraud. They interviewed my other half and with bi polar panicked and denied all, I was then interviewed and explained what had happened. The evidence they had was that my other half said I was living with her parents which i wasn't and had gone round to ask and her father said I hadn't lived there ever! I was living with my brother. I stupidly gave my go address to my other halfs address while I wasn't living there. She's been charged because of all this and due in court jan 6th. She's so worried and her bi polar has been the worse it's ever been. I need advice on what to do in court and can someone tell me what's gonna happen to her. Should she plead guilty or not guilty? Kind regards

B

Bobmarley121

Sorry I ment stupidly gave my gp address*

S

supergreysmoke

Former member
Be completely honest. Never mess them about. On benefits you are talking a few quid a week to pay it back. But perjury is gonna be prison. They don't like being lied too. If your open and honest you'll get more help.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I have to agree with greysmoke, I think on this occasion honesty is the best policy.
They appreciate it when someone is honest.

You could always talk to the citizen's advice, as I don't think anybody here is an expert on this sort of thing.

Hope things work out for the best.