• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Benefit fraud in news

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Has anyone seen about the person who claimed she had issues including agraphobia. Makes me cross because then people think other people on benefits eg me are the same. Wish i could enjoy life. Sorry might be wrong place for this but couldnt think where to post it

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The media find these cases to make the public think they are representitive of all benefit claimants. Unfortunately some people believe it and tar us all with the same brush. I feel quite paranoid about it at times.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I saw this earlier and it made me really cross.
Yes, I understand that she was wrong and benefit fraud is a criminal act. I am not condoning her whatsoever.
But the way it's been reported it's just the same old BS. Taken from the BBC website-

Prosecutor Joanna James told the jury: "Tracy Johnson was living the life that honest, decent, hard working taxpayers could only dream of.

"While workers were going out to do their daily grind, she was shopping in New York or having a few days in Madrid."​

Honest, decent, hard-working, taxpayers... :rolleyes:

The thing is, the average person will read this and get riled up at all the benefit scum.
Divide and rule.
Taxdodgers? Mp's fiddling with expenses? Bankers lining their own pockets? General wealth hoarders?
Oh sorry, yes, that's all been swept under the rug, hasn't it?

And I get paranoid about it all too, even though i'm doing nothing wrong. It's almost as if anybody on benefits is made to feel like a criminal. x

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I get angry when people say benefit claimants don't pay any tax. Yes we do VAT, duty on cigarettes and alcohol, council tax, vehicle tax, to name a few.

BillFish

BillFish

Has anyone seen about the person who claimed she had issues including agraphobia. Makes me cross because then people think other people on benefits eg me are the same. Wish i could enjoy life. Sorry might be wrong place for this but couldnt think where to post it
Do you actually care what people think about benefits claimants? I really don't give a damn. There's nothing weirder than folk mate, half of your street probably has a weird fetish and a collection of strap- ons, and there is probably nobody weirder than the old fart judge that found her guilty of fraud, he's probably a closet alcoholic and wears his wife’s stilettoes and suspenders lol, why should I be bothered what they think....the myth of the perfect citizen next door.;)

T

TheRedStar

"Tracy Johnson was living the life that honest, decent, hard working taxpayers could only dream of."
Oh, hand me a violin to play in sympathy... and pass me a fu*king sickbag while you're at it. I am so sick of that same, nauseating rhetoric over and over and over again.

"While workers were going out to do their daily grind, she was shopping in New York or having a few days in Madrid."
What kind of benefits was she on? Was she claiming for an entire fictional family?! I can barely afford a return journey on the London Overground once per week, let alone plane fare and accommodation and shopping money!!!

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I know mean really, what kind of benefits was she on to be able to afford to go New York and Madrid, perhaps she had savings of her own and fancied a break for hell's sake? At least she was trying to counteract her agrophobia? What's the headline, flipping nonsense as usual, and whatshisname NOTW editor Coulson as guilty as sin listening in on folks phone conversations, pleading his sorry arse of 'not guilty', it was all my bad journalists, 'yur honour', slimy git.

katss

T

TheRedStar

perhaps she had savings of her own and fancied a break for hell's sake? At least she was trying to counteract her agrophobia?
Fair point, I hadn't thought of that... I know there's a certain amount of money you're allowed to have in the bank before they start giving you lower levels of benefit (£6k, as I recall), but - even so - it seems to me they find some way or another of bleeding you completely dry.

And that last part... this is what gets me about so many people's perceptions of mental illness; if an agoraphobic gets out once, they're cured; if a depressive has one happy day, they're cured; if someone with BPD holds their sh*t together in a stressful emotional situation once, then they're cured.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... if someone with a mental illness doesn't show improvement then they're clearly 'not trying hard enough' and get denigrated accordingly, but if someone does try, and shows even a semblance of improvement, then apparently they should get straight back to work that instant, and if they continue to claim benefits for even a day longer then they're a fraud.

Honestly, all that attitude from normal people does for me is foster an inclination to recover my way, in my time... I'm not going to bust my balls for people who clearly think I'm scum.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I should point out that she was working as a tour guide, rather than swanning off on benefit money.
Here's the story - BBC News - Agoraphobic benefits cheat Tracy Johnson jailed for year. x
She must be very clever if she is able to do that, it's not fair.

My partner gets paranoid about going out, ever, in case it means he is not really ill, like many people with depression he pretends he is fine around his friends, but then if a DM photographer captured the image it would be shock horror depressed person smiles - they are faking it!

I am the same although people in my last place of abode knew I was a "f***ing nutter", I was known as the mental girl, so at least I did not have to worry on that score.

M

Me,me,me

This is why I'm really reluctant to post my holiday snaps on social media because the context could get taken out of proportion and I'm seen as a benefit scrounger and whisked off to court, what they don't see if the risk assessments my social worker does before hand, the extra travel insurance I pay and a member of support staff I take with me. Only if they are fulfilled I'm allowed to go.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used to be on Facebook and had some holiday snaps up, was told I look happy, thing is I am able to smile sometimes but I am depressed all the time mostly, I don't think most people understand depression, well or other mental health issues for that matter.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Does anyone want to come to Barbados with me next week on all the savings that we've been scamming out of honest hard working tax payers? All the money i've accumulated no longer fits in the kitchen draws, & i need to spend more - i would buy another TV, but only recently got the 60" LED smart TV, & there are only so many lobsters you can eat, Cuban cigars you can smoke, & coke you can sniff, before it gets boring. After paying the maid & for pool cleaning services, & other trifles, there should be enough for 4 weeks in a 5 star hotel on the beach - anyone else up for it? We can take videos of the Holiday & post them on you tube to show & thank the British tax payer for their kindness in allowing us to live such comfortable & enjoyable lives.