• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Benefit changes are killing the vulnerable, say campaigners

S

supergreysmoke

Benefit changes are killing the vulnerable, say campaigners - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Benefit changes are killing the vulnerable, say campaigners

The sister of a mentally ill man who starved to death in David Cameron's constituency after his benefits were wrongly cut has accused the Government of "killing the very vulnerable", as official figures emerged suggesting dozens of people could have died in similar circumstances.

Freedom of Information requests by the Disability News Service revealed that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has investigated decisions made about welfare payments following the deaths of 60 people since 2012 – the first time the DWP has tacitly admitted there could be a link.

However, campaigners believe the number of deaths could be far higher, claiming the changes to benefit rules have amounted to "passive euthanasia".

A public meeting in Witney in Oxfordshire on Thursday will hear from the sisters of two men who died after their benefits were cut, Mark Wood, 44 and David Clapson, 59. Mr Wood, who had a number of mental health problems, was found starved to death last year after his benefits were reduced to £40 a week because he was deemed fit for work. A government review later found that this decision had been a mistake.

The Prime Minister has said his death was "tragic" and pledged to "help find the answers to make sure that lessons are learnt". However, Mr Wood's sister Cathie Wood, 49, said she felt that members of the Government believed "these people aren't worth having around".

"They must, in their secret hearts, think that," she said. "It worked; he died. They say they want to protect the very vulnerable, and they are killing the very vulnerable. I think it is a really huge, hidden scandal and there are going to be more people who die this winter."

(continued, go not quietly to the grave - make a noise and make them pay?)

Kerome

Kerome

I always liked The Independent, they put out some good stories. This is pretty disgraceful though, I would t be surprised if it becomes a big scandal.

S

supergreysmoke

I always liked The Independent, they put out some good stories. This is pretty disgraceful though, I would t be surprised if it becomes a big scandal.
Should be interesting what the international press makes of it....and how the government tries to suppress that international interest? and fuels the story?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think people should be shocked - The media, political, social & welfare programs currently enacted over the past 6 or so years in the UK are eerily similar to how it all started in pre war Germany. There was also the resurgence of interest in spirituality. It's just not really being reported in the mainstream & the vast majority of people are totally brain washed & conditioned by the mass media.

S

supergreysmoke

i think people should be shocked - The media, political, social & welfare programs currently enacted over the past 6 or so years in the UK are eerily similar to how it all started in pre war Germany. There was also the resurgence of interest in spirituality. It's just not really being reported in the mainstream & the vast majority of people are totally brain washed & conditioned by the mass media.
There was a lot happening in the thirties but Hitler's regime was ultimately fuelled by oil. If it comes to it. And they start to get ideas...making like Nazis in a bigger and bigger way....the resistance must focus on destroying the coastal refineries....that is how it will be stopped.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nikita Sign here the petition against the changes and cuts to PIP benefit. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
R Benefit changes helpline and email address Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
B changes to housing benefit need to move to a smaller property but there isnt any Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Shell Dockley My housing benefit has stopped Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
P Council housing & housing benefit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
E Housing Benefit query Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
Screechout Housing benefit question Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
J benefit advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Funnyday DWP wins legal case to block future benefit appeals Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Tawny Housing benefit with PIP only? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 18
K Housing benefit non dependant Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Pinkcandy777 Eesa old style benefit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
C Need advice on housing benefit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
N Former Name Benefit Incapcity - for a particular week, not in my bank account!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
N Benefit assessors? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
M Housing benefit help Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
S Can I still recieve ESA benefit while studying? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
N It's not in my benefit to be mentally well. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Artmuzz DLA benefit ending Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Kerome Government scraps housing benefit for young people Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
T Benefit help please Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
R more benefit woes Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
cpuusage Disabled set up to fail benefit assessments, says former DWP officer Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
cpuusage Benefit Cap What planet do deluded MPs live on? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
F ESA benefit payments: Re-tests axed for chronically ill claimants Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
D Housing benefit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
S Scottish Government uses devolved powers to block benefit sanctions Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
N Maximum Housing Benefit? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
R my benefit thread Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
N Accused of Benefit Fraud , ex-partner and kids Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
cpuusage Suicides of benefit claimants reveal DWP flaws, says inquiry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
cpuusage 2,600 benefit claimants die within weeks of being ruled fit for work Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
cpuusage Disability benefit cuts 'changing things for the better' DWP’s Stephen Crabb says Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 19
D Information watchdog to probe DWPs secret reviews on benefit deaths Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
cpuusage Disability benefit is broken. Now even Iain Duncan Smith’s advisers say it Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
cpuusage The government’s benefit reforms are a ‘car crash’ Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
E PIP benefit. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
cpuusage Release the Death Statistics on Benefit Cuts Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
fazza New benefit cap down to £20000 outside london but ESA support group and dla/pip not affected Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Artmuzz ESA support group - Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
SarahD Election 2015: Conservative benefit cut options leaked Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Unique1 Panic attacks nd the benefit system.. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
Unique1 The benefit system and the professionals in MH care... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S bullying and reported for benefit fraud = despair. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
Wiseowl Christmas Benefit Payments Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
E Landlords who don't accept housing benefit..... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 45
shaky Experiences of Benefit Sanctions wanted by Parliament Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
B Benefit fraud with bi polar Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
cpuusage DWP Gets Tough On Sickness Benefit Claimants Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
cpuusage Tighter benefit rules could cause more deaths Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4