• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Benefit Advice

F

frenchfranck3

Hi
This is my first post as I have just found this site. I am a registered carer for a friend who has Bipolar. He is in receipt of Mid rate care and Low rate mobility. As I am sure everyone is aware Bipolar is such a diverse condition.
In DLA there is a statement saying you have to report a change in circumstance including an improvement or decline in your health.
As bipolar is such a fluctuating condition I was wondering how this would work in practice

D

Dollit

I have Bipolar I and am quite well at the moment. I get DLA at the middle rate because I am considered a danger to myself. This is because when I get stressed I get a form of dissociation and I get seriously suicidal to the point where I am in danger of killing myself - 3 or 4 times a year. When you get DLA you do get a letter saying why it's been awarded. I don't report changes because I could be well today and seriously ill tomorrow.

G

grace68

incapacity?

hi, i am off sick with depression .again. i am a nurse, and want to give up. has anyone else given up a career and gone on incapacity. how hard is it. maybe bipolar2 is not going to be considered serious enough?

Q

quality factor

hi, i am off sick with depression .again. i am a nurse, and want to give up. has anyone else given up a career and gone on incapacity. how hard is it. maybe bipolar2 is not going to be considered serious enough?
Hi there, I had to give up my teaching career, but not voluntarily,the Education Authority made me go.
I went straight on to Incapacity benefit which was all sorted out for me as I was too unwell to deal with the paperwork.
The only problem I had was collecting it until they brought in direct payment in to my bank account.
At the time of leaving teaching I was suffering from a bad mood disorder/depression/anxiety....I later had a dx of Bipolar 2, which has recently changed to a dx of Borderline Personality Disorder.
I accepted a Bipolar 2 dx without too much problem, but I have found it very difficult to accept the dx of BPD.

QF.

G

grace68

thank you QF, i am sorry you had to give up your teaching-
i hate these mental illnesses (whatever label is attached) i hate the way that we are affected, that everything is such a struggle.
i hope you are doing ok now?