• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Benefit Advice

F

frenchfranck3

Hi
This is my first post as I have just found this site. I am a registered carer for a friend who has Bipolar. He is in receipt of Mid rate care and Low rate mobility. As I am sure everyone is aware Bipolar is such a diverse condition.
In DLA there is a statement saying you have to report a change in circumstance including an improvement or decline in your health.
As bipolar is such a fluctuating condition I was wondering how this would work in practice

D

Dollit

Former member
I have Bipolar I and am quite well at the moment. I get DLA at the middle rate because I am considered a danger to myself. This is because when I get stressed I get a form of dissociation and I get seriously suicidal to the point where I am in danger of killing myself - 3 or 4 times a year. When you get DLA you do get a letter saying why it's been awarded. I don't report changes because I could be well today and seriously ill tomorrow.

G

grace68

incapacity?

hi, i am off sick with depression .again. i am a nurse, and want to give up. has anyone else given up a career and gone on incapacity. how hard is it. maybe bipolar2 is not going to be considered serious enough?

Q

quality factor

Former member
hi, i am off sick with depression .again. i am a nurse, and want to give up. has anyone else given up a career and gone on incapacity. how hard is it. maybe bipolar2 is not going to be considered serious enough?

Hi there, I had to give up my teaching career, but not voluntarily,the Education Authority made me go.
I went straight on to Incapacity benefit which was all sorted out for me as I was too unwell to deal with the paperwork.
The only problem I had was collecting it until they brought in direct payment in to my bank account.
At the time of leaving teaching I was suffering from a bad mood disorder/depression/anxiety....I later had a dx of Bipolar 2, which has recently changed to a dx of Borderline Personality Disorder.
I accepted a Bipolar 2 dx without too much problem, but I have found it very difficult to accept the dx of BPD.

QF.

G

grace68

thank you QF, i am sorry you had to give up your teaching-
i hate these mental illnesses (whatever label is attached) i hate the way that we are affected, that everything is such a struggle.
i hope you are doing ok now?