• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Being unknowingly recorded

S

spenceunarchived

TW//unconsensual recording, paranoia

i’m unsure if this belongs in this chat but i’m struggling to understand if this is just paranoia or not.

i got recorded while in the shower a few months ago and although the person who did it doesn’t live with me anymore he sometimes comes over.
a few days ago i got the feeling he had put cameras in the bathroom so i’ve had to use another one.
i came home today and he had been at the house alone and i immediately got a feeling that there were cameras everywhere.
i walked into my room and my first thought was that there were cameras recording me and i’m so scared.

i have dealt with paranoia for a few years and have felt like i’m being watched or that there’s cameras in the house before but i always ignored it as it was never a strong feeling but now i can barely move.

what do i do?

Manicotti

Manicotti

To find hidden cameras:
Turn off all the lights,
Get your phone camera,
Look around the room with the camera. If you see a blue speck of light, then there is most likely a camera. If you search but don't find any blue lights, then no cameras.

I would also suggest that maybe you should set up boundaries with this creepy guy and not let him come over to your house.

After I got home from the psychiatric unit, I felt like there were cameras everywhere still and I had to remind myself that it wasn't real anymore and that nobody was watching me.

C

chargrillwon

when you’re in public I would turn off my Bluetooth also

Zero One

Zero One

@spenceunarchived I know how violated.you can feel. When I moved to the city I am at now I had the weird experience of men filming me. One time I was walking into the supermarket and passed by these two guys sitting on a bench. I felt a little weird about them. After I walked in I realized I did not ask my husband if he wants lettuce. I turned around and one of the guys was behind me and when I was facing him he put the camera in front of my face. Then he looked back at his phone and smiled and walked away from me. The next one was at an ATM. My soon to be ex husband was with me but he didn't care he recorded me walking away from the ATM and to my car and then he stood in front of the car still taping me. I was upset but my husband was like what are you going to do. Unfortunately for me I went crazy in 2015 and I was paranoid of people recording me everywhere and it got worse and worse-- I got voices and after a couple years they told me there is no camera or audio recorder in my house and they started to show me more of what they do.

I am really sorry to hear about what is going on with you and I hope you will get some peace soon.

S

Sporkie

I used to think my phone was tapped and there were cameras in my computer monitor. This went on for almost a year but then I didn't think about it anymore. I used to take a taxi to therapy and I thought the cab drivers were undercover FBI agents. This was all too stressful for me and I wound up in a psychiatric hospital. Thank goodness that feeling of paranoia went away.

S

spenceunarchived

@Manicotti thank you so much for your reply, i checked around the entire house and i couldn’t find any blue lights but i still have the feeling that there could still be cameras. i am trying to set boundaries but it’s incredibly difficult as his connection to my family is quite important for us to have a decent living. thank you