• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Being treated like a child

R

Rzero

I think I know how you feel. My situation is different, but people around me do tend to infantilize me. I have a serious case of the attention deficit, and people talk to me like I'm a child sometimes, especially when they're giving instructions. I'm forgetful, so they talk slowly and deliberately, as if instructing a todler they're sure can't remember two steps ahead. It can be humiliating or infuriating. I find that being direct with them about the way they're treating me is the only way to make it stop without causing a worse scene. I'll say something to the effect of, "I know you're probably not doing it on purpose, but you're talking to me like I'm a child right now." I know you can't do that in every situation, but when it bothers you, you can speak up.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I'm 42 years old but I still find people treat me like I'm a child, even people younger than me, especially in a work environment. It makes me feel like an idiot, but I don't know what's worse being treated like a child or being treated like I'm invisible.