• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Being ignored on social media

P

Peppermint

It feels like on social people people are ignoring me. I don't usually use it much but at the moment it's a way of staying in contact with people. I don't know what I do wrong. I make a post and it's ignored. I see people are liking and commenting on other posts. Then I feel foolish for posting at all. It hurts. I don't know if anyone can relate. I'm starting to feel like social media might be bad for my mental health.

anex

anex

It feels like on social people people are ignoring me. I don't usually use it much but at the moment it's a way of staying in contact with people. I don't know what I do wrong. I make a post and it's ignored. I see people are liking and commenting on other posts. Then I feel foolish for posting at all. It hurts. I don't know if anyone can relate. I'm starting to feel like social media might be bad for my mental health.
I’m sorry, that doesn’t feel good. If it is affecting you negatively, then maybe you’re right it might not be good for your mental health.
Are you not very active on your account? If you don’t post often, Instagram basically chokes your posts. Doesn’t show them to all of your friends. At least, that’s as far as I understand.

S

StillDepressed

I personally haven't use a personal social media account in years as my mental health is affected by it.

But as Anex says, some posts/profiles are not shown as often as other depending how often they use it. I would just try to comment on other peoples posts (relevant not spam) and see if you get more interactions that way.

You may also want to advise which platform you are using for more appropriate advice.

anex

anex

Whoops. I could have sworn Instagram was mentioned in your post, peppermint! My bad.

I

Intareseid

Don't use social media.

Specially don't use it if you're lonely, its all nothing but an exploitative business designed from the bottom up to abuse some built in mental weaknesses of humans. I mean think that should be open, universal knowledge at this point.

Whatever your problems or issues I can say one thing, social media will not help and very likely just make you feel worse (as it has already, leading you to make this post).

P

Peppermint

I’m sorry, that doesn’t feel good. If it is affecting you negatively, then maybe you’re right it might not be good for your mental health.
Are you not very active on your account? If you don’t post often, Instagram basically chokes your posts. Doesn’t show them to all of your friends. At least, that’s as far as I understand.
Thank you for responding.

I'm fairly active at the moment. Its mainly Facebook I use. I think people do see my posts. I probably am better staying off for awhile.

Sea_Green

Sea_Green

I can totally relate to that. It's important to find a way to keep in touch with people you care about but social media definitely doesn't agree with my brain!

P

Peppermint

I personally haven't use a personal social media account in years as my mental health is affected by it.

But as Anex says, some posts/profiles are not shown as often as other depending how often they use it. I would just try to comment on other peoples posts (relevant not spam) and see if you get more interactions that way.

You may also want to advise which platform you are using for more appropriate advice.
Thank you. It's mostly Facebook.

I hadn't used social media until recently. It seemed a way to stay in contact with people. Now I think it's triggering anxiety. I'm probably better off staying off it.

P

Peppermint

I can totally relate to that. It's important to find a way to keep in touch with people you care about but social media definitely doesn't agree with my brain!
Yes, I never had any social media until very recently. I think it's not agreeing with my brain also!

P

Peppermint

Don't use social media.

Specially don't use it if you're lonely, its all nothing but an exploitative business designed from the bottom up to abuse some built in mental weaknesses of humans. I mean think that should be open, universal knowledge at this point.

Whatever your problems or issues I can say one thing, social media will not help and very likely just make you feel worse (as it has already, leading you to make this post).
Thank you. Yes, you are right.

M

Mary26

Face book? Hmm. I would consider how many friends you have, their ages and the nature of your posts. A lot of people have pages but aren't active, especially young people. Try posting a question that invites people's opinions or advice like "Can anyone recommend ( a good TV show, movie, music, books etc). If you don't get a response it's because your friends aren't active. If you do, I would look at what you have been posting. It could be the nature of your posts. For example people generally don't comment on music videos, self help or empowerment messages, cryptic posts...

P

Peppermint

Face book? Hmm. I would consider how many friends you have, their ages and the nature of your posts. A lot of people have pages but aren't active, especially young people. Try posting a question that invites people's opinions or advice like "Can anyone recommend ( a good TV show, movie, music, books etc). If you don't get a response it's because your friends aren't active. If you do, I would look at what you have been posting. It could be the nature of your posts. For example people generally don't comment on music videos, self help or empowerment messages, cryptic posts...
You are right. I think they were all just busy and it was nothing personal.

Topcat

Topcat

I think also, if you're not very active on Facebook your posts don't necessarily show up at the top of your friends' feeds. So on those rare occasions you want to connect, your posts kind of slip by unnoticed or unpublished to certain people.

P

Peppermint

I think also, if you're not very active on Facebook your posts don't necessarily show up at the top of your friends' feeds. So on those rare occasions you want to connect, your posts kind of slip by unnoticed or unpublished to certain people.
Yes, I think so too.

Pink

Pink

I had to delete all my accounts. I find social media to be triggering for me. If it is impacting you negatively, it might be worth taking a break.