• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

being diagnosed possible dissociation disorder

A

Aurelius

EUPD = Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder which is also known as 'borderline personality disorder'.

2 problems around diagnosis are:

1. Many conditions share the same symptoms (so sometimes a diagnosis is changed simply on the pattern of response/non-response to the treatment for the disorder that was initially diagnosed).

2. There is often an over focus on exploring, identifying and treating symptoms at the expense of exploring and identifying daily needs, how these can be met and what kind of daily support is most effective and/or can be provided.

Keesha

Keesha

Ok I just looked up eupd and discovered it’s another name for borderline personality disorder. I didn’t know that either.

Keesha

Keesha

EUPD = Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder which is also known as 'borderline personality disorder'.

2 problems around diagnosis are:

1. Many conditions share the same symptoms (so sometimes diagnosis is changed simply on pattern of response/non-response to treatment for a particular disorder).

2. There is often an over focus on exploring, identifying and treating symptoms at the expense of exploring and identifying daily needs, how these can be met and what kind of daily support is most effective.
Thank you. I think we posted at the same time. I agree that many conditions share the same symptoms.

I’m fairly certain that my bipolar disorder has morphed into schizoaffective disorder. I no longer have manic episodes. Plus I think getting caught up in the labels can be somewhat overwhelming.

A

Aurelius

It is all going to become more confusing in the next 12 months, as there is going to be another major revision of disorders and diagnostic criteria by the World Health Organisation.

From what you say it is probable that you have always had schizoaffective disorder, as it can combine (or not) a range of symptoms common to bipolar disorder, depressive disorders and schizophrenia. The presenting symptoms can change over time - so maybe yours have.

Keesha

Keesha

It is all going to become more confusing in the next 12 months, as there is going to be another major revision of disorders and diagnostic criteria by the World Health Organisation.

From what you say it is probable that you have always had schizoaffective disorder, as it can combine (or not) a range of symptoms common to bipolar disorder, depressive disorders and schizophrenia. The presenting symptoms can change over time - so maybe yours have.
Really! Well that’s interesting but I have had 2 major episodes of mania that landed me in hospital. One of them was brought about by a doctor prescribing me the wrong type of anti depressants. People with bipolar can’t take most anti depressants. I’m not sure how close schizoaffective disorder is to bipolar. All I know is that I don’t get the same types of symptoms. Age may play a factor but it’s just a guess. Thank you. 👍

A

Aurelius

Re: antidepressants - the same is true for schizoaffective disorder manic type as for bipolar disorder - 'antidepressants can trigger manic episodes for some people'.

mandy125

mandy125

Emotionally unstable personalitie disorder wow that's alot to have going on x

Y

Yakamoz

in my experience: all these in a "diagnosis" pressed symptom-complexes like bipolar, voice-hearing (traditional a shizo-marker, but often a misunderstood trial of an dissociated part´s contact), depression, shizoaffective Disorder, many kinds of Dis, EUPD, Borderline... could have their origin in a complex ptsd.
The diagnostic perspective influences the possible solutions.
If the perspective is personality disorder oder psychosis, the treatment is more focused on dealing with the disturbance.
But if you have in view an old complex-trauma, you could work WITH the symptoms (and not against them) to change the effect of the past.

Keesha

Keesha

Re: antidepressants - the same is true for schizoaffective disorder manic type as for bipolar disorder - 'antidepressants can trigger manic episodes for some people'.
I did not know this. Maybe I have been schizoaffective all along. Most antidepressants trigger manic episodes with me and unfortunately the average doctor is unaware of this.

Keesha

Keesha

But if you have in view an old complex-trauma, you could work WITH the symptoms (and not against them) to change the effect of the past.
Could you elaborate on this a bit please?

Y

Yakamoz

Could you elaborate on this a bit please?
oookay, I hope my english can stand it *g

This is german experience, we do not have "complex PTSD" yet on the menue. Kinda.. lagging.
The paradigm of a "personality disorder" says, that this is something stable, like Psychosis. Stable means: Change is difficult or even impossible. And so the fokus is directed on working with the symptoms. Skills, PsychoEducation, some awareness-trainees to handle the present state. And a lot of psychopharmaka against the emotions. Done. Happy future.

But if you place the focus on a (possible, idk) former complex traumatisation, you would use different, additional methods. After having stabilized the present state, you begin to give peace und healing to your history (i.e. infantlike inner parts), so that optimally medications and skills are no longer necessary.

Generally.

But of course I have no idea if this also applies to you.
Are you familiar with the criteria of a complex traumatisation? It has only marginally something to do with a "regular" PTSD.