• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Being blamed for your problems.

D

Dissatisfied

some of the things I had no control over, such as being in a psychotic state, some of the events in my life as a child I had no control over, but the way I responded to the abuse, I acted normally in that situation, not much different to other's in the same situ, for me it wasn't just the abuse, it was other things, like family not supporting me, not rescuing me when they should have done, turning a blind eye, and I think most of my behaviour was linked to this - there is always cause and effect going on, but there is a way out, and that's recognising these patterns of behaviour that keep us stuck, and finding a way out, for me it was belief in myself and standing up for myself, resilience - being a doormat was something that was keeping me stuck, kept feeling that I was an easy target for bullies, I needed to break that pattern.

D

Dissatisfied

I wonder if she was jealous of you, from the moment you came into her life, was she the older sister? If so it must have provoked envy in her when you came into the world and needed more attention as the youngest

And perhaps she never dealt with this envy, perhaps she has always blamed you for the way she feels when you are around.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i often feel blamed for my difficulties. Do other people?
i've felt blamed a lot for my difficulties - in my everyday life & on-line. In general people seem to blame me.

Either i created it all, &/or i'm not doing enough to resolve/deal with things - can't ever do anything right, however hard i try & whatever i do.

A lot of people are very blaming & unforgiving - But i suppose it's a blame culture - 'we' have to kick people when their down - seems intrinsic to the society we're in - the more vulnerable/afflicted the harder the kicks.

Last edited:
C

Christobel

Do you think men are blamed more than women when they are mentally ill? I had a depressive type psychosis and was crying much of the time. Luckily my friends and family were supportive. But how do men cope with depression? Presumably they don't give in to crying like me. Also, being physically stronger, people are more worried their illness is going to go out of control.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I dint think I'm blamed from my difficulties but always seem to be the target of blame in my 'family' life.

I think sometimes we have a clouded view on a situation from being depressed and can naturally assume blame where it is not given. I tend to anyway and I'm always apologising through force of habit

BillFish

BillFish

Nobody blames me in my daily life, conversely I don't blame anyone else for my situation either. But I don't have a ego that needs to be massaged regularly, I can take responsibility for the decisions I took, and handle it without sniveling about it.:p

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes. Parents, teachers, society, MH services, neighbours, friends, some people on here, the lot. I will write you a proper list of examples when I have time so you can see I am not just imagining it.

Do you think men are blamed more than women when they are mentally ill?
Yes, basically.
Yes and it's bad for both sexes. Services assume women are weaker and more prone to MI which feeds on stereotypes and then men get taken less seriously.