• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Being able to choose my own thoughts

chesterking

chesterking

With meditation I will be able to choose my own thoughts, thoughts that I want to have. What do you people think about this?

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello Chester,

I think at the beginning, when starting off, you will still experience random thoughts. Even when your experienced, you will still get random thoughts but the difference being that you can choose which thoughts you surf on :mrgreen:

chesterking

chesterking

Yesterday, I was in the car, I did not want to say something, so I didn't. Before the meditation, I had to speak whatever came to my mind, I was speaking all the time to my father. Now I told my father, have you noticed that I am much quieter since I have started to meditate.

That to me, is pretty powerful. Being able to control my mind, so if I don't want to say something that comes to my mind, then I don't.
Not only that, this makes me a good listener. I have spoken to a couple of meditators over the phone, and I have noticed they don't interpret me when I speak, and when they reply to me, they wait for a while before they speak.

chesterking

chesterking

Meditation has given me patience

My father was speaking to a relative yesterday on the phone while sitting on the computer chair. I wanted to download a piece of software on my computer. Before the meditation, I would asked my father to remove himself from the computer chair and sit on the sofa. I would had this horrible 'hurry up feeling'. It was a unbearable negative emotion. But this time, I said I am going allow my father to finish talking on the phone and then ask him to move. It worked, and I had no horrible hurry up feeling with this. It was a very pleasant happy feeling in it's place. They say patience is a virtue, and meditation has certainly given me that.

chesterking

chesterking

Choosing a thought - Patience in saying buy a new fridge.

I was about to talk about having a new quieter mini 20 litre fridge while my father was driving the car. But with meditation I was able to wait till I got back home and then talk about it. Before the meditation, I would have just have blabbed my mouth and talked about things without waiting. This could have distracted my father while he was driving the car and we could have ended up with a car accident.

chesterking

chesterking

Patience: Father eating dinner - delayed talking till later.

My father was eating his dinner now, and I was just going to talk about something to him, but I was able to stop my self. That thought and feeling of wanting to talk to him was gone. I was able to hold it off till later. Before the meditation I would have interrupted my father and distracted him while he was trying to eat his dinner. Isn't meditation wonderful. ;)