• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Being a Volunteer with Red Cross or St John Ambulance

M

My Angels

Hello All,

Is anyone here a member of the British Red Cross or St John Ambulance as I'm thinking of joining one of them,as I have problems with mental health I'm worried that I might not be able to join. I've always had a problem with low self esteem and self confidence and thought this would give me it back, the problem is that my family keep asking if I can cope with it which doesn't help me.

I've always had medication for depression that I take on a night so it doesn't effect me during the day but I also have type 2 diabetes which is controlled with exercise and diet. The more my family members question me on where I can do it or not the more a question myself, it seems like I'm talking myself out of it but I just have a lot of self doubt. Has anyone been a member or are you a member now, if anyone has any advice I'd be really very gratefully to hear it.
Thanks all.:confused:

S

smokinghorse

Hi l was in the st john, for many years as an officer their should be no problem as you do as little or as much as you feel.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
PetitPois Trying to get better, while still being bad Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Fairy Lucretia sorry for being so depressing x Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
H being 51050ed and ssi Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Screechout College course and being on limited capability for work and work-related activity Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
N Living in supported livings helps with being awarded PIP. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 14
Mixxy Worrying my self sick about being off sick!!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
L The people with mental health problems that are being stripped of their benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
cpuusage 2,600 benefit claimants die within weeks of being ruled fit for work Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
S Schizoaffective disorder and being placed in the employment related ESA group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Freezingmoon Being evicted and benefits stopping! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
L Consequences of being discharged back to GP on DLA, ESA (Others?). Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
albie Benefits being slashed! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
AliceinWonderland People in ESA Support Group being hassled by DWP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
F My thoughts on there being ‘no stigma’ around mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
B Am I being bullied or am I victim of sexism at work. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
auldyin what is the point of being alive? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
L Being bullied by colleague Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
G Will being discharged from cmht effects benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 44
R Sacked after 1 shift back after being put on sick for depression/suicidal thoughts!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
sahasrara being kicked out of my home:'( Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
H Help Needed: First ATOS interview despite being on ESA for a long time Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
P Being made Homeless, worried about the cost of moving Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
prairiechick Afraid I'm getting close to being fired Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
R can anyone help being told diffrent time frames for ESA letting me know if there overturning it or taking it to appeal Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
A Are my human rights being violated? (Please help.) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
turmoiled What's life like being homeless? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
maxitab Being sectioned - info please. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15