• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Being a control freak is destroying me :(

D

dickyjj

Hi guys, I'm new here.

Well I want to know how to stop being such a control freak.
I seem to feel that the world revolves around me (obviously I know this is wrong). I feel that I call the shots in everything.

For example, I always have to be composed in everything I do.
The problem comes when, for example, I get distracted by stuff for a few seconds. There will always be distractions, which is annoying!

Anyway, in those few seconds I get distracted, I feel I am no longer in control and I take ages to recover.

Please help!!

D

Dollit

Welcome to the forum. This element of control you feel you must have, is it all areas of your life or just some?

D

dickyjj

Welcome to the forum. This element of control you feel you must have, is it all areas of your life or just some?
I can't really describe it, it seems to be when I am in public, I like to call the shots and make things happen, so if something bad happens to me, I can say its my fault.

D

Dollit

So you assume too much responsibility in a way. Do you think that when something goes wrong you're proving to yourself that it would go wrong if you were in control?

D

dickyjj

So you assume too much responsibility in a way. Do you think that when something goes wrong you're proving to yourself that it would go wrong if you were in control?
to be honest i'm not entirely sure.. i know thats not of any help .. sorry

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Perhaps its a fear that you yourself are going to loose control.
Maybe you should see your Gp for advice as it is obviously causing you concern.
And welcome to the forum.

D

Dollit

If I'm in a situation that maybe I'm not quite sure of then I will try to be the one in control. At least in my own head. That gives me the feeling at least that do have some say at what's going on. I do that to feel secure. I don't have to do it in my own environment or among friends because I already feel secure.

People try to regain control in a lot of ways - abusing their relationship with food, alcohol, drug abuse. We all try to control things to make ourselves feel better, it's when it gets out of control that we lose the control we seek. I lost control for a long time.

If you go to the home page of the forum there's a tab that says "Getting Help" and in there are the contact details for MIND. Perhaps a chat with someone there might help you see things more clearly? Good luck and keep posting.