Beginning to work on my BPD

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hi,

On Friday morning my nurse is going to start the hard work with me on my Borderline Personality Disorder with Depression. I am already getting nervous about this just thinking about it. She is going to be using a BPD workbook by a professional therapist on BPD. I have a feeling this is going to be very difficult. Anyone else had specific therapy on BPD?

L

Leftgirl

Hi Pixie!

I spent 10 months in Group Therapy for people with Personality Disorders - not specially BPD. It helped partially but at the same time I thought it was somewhat detrimental to my recovery listening to other people.

Although saying that, my PDOC, CPN and anyone else in the NHS involved in my care want to throw me back into a ‘new’ Group Therapy that is starting next year and running for 18 months which is specifically using ‘Mentalization Based Therapy’ designed especially for people with Borderline Personality Disorder. I was not keen and point blank refused initially, but am coming around to the idea and have now purchased a book on the therapy to read in order to learn more about it... it has a high success rate in people with BPD and people stay in recovery 8 years after treatment. My private Psychiatrist who I separated from last week after 19 months recommends it and tells me I am extremely lucky to get this kind of treatment on the NHS, as MBT is a rare therapy to be offer on the NHS!

MBT Therapy

http://bpd.about.com/od/treatments/a/mentalize.htm

Has your CPN / Nurse said which Therapy she is specifically using? Some are specially designed for people with BPD, another is ‘Dialectical Behavior Therapy’ which is often used in the NHS now and has a high success rate also.

DBT Therapy

http://bpd.about.com/od/treatments/a/IntroDBT.htm

Don’t worry too much, please air your concerns and fears with the nurse you see, it’s only natural to feel apprehensive when your start therapy, it’s hard work and from my own experience it does get hard before it gets better... it has to but with the right support and care you can get through it.

I do worry though that a nurse is doing this therapy... is she qualified as a therapist as well, or just a Mental Health Nurse?

maxitab

maxitab

There is also Schema Therapy. I have a self help workbook, it is called The Anxiety and Depression Workbook and is DBT based. If it is that it is very helpful, but I also had 'proper' DBT for two years.

How did it go?

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hope it all goes well with your therapy pixie I am sure your nurse will support you just tell her how you feel. I had mentalization based therapy for 18months and it helped a little but not much I found the whole process very difficult to engage with as it was group therapy and individual. Now I have had a 6 month break I am being referred for more therapy so hopefully this time round I will be able to get more out of it.

L

Leftgirl

I hope it all goes well with your therapy pixie I am sure your nurse will support you just tell her how you feel. I had mentalization based therapy for 18months and it helped a little but not much I found the whole process very difficult to engage with as it was group therapy and individual. Now I have had a 6 month break I am being referred for more therapy so hopefully this time round I will be able to get more out of it.
That is what I am starting in the New Year...

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hiya,
Thanks for the replies. My nurse and pdoc agreed i'd do this work with my nurse cause the waiting lists for psycologists etc are too long. My nurse is a staff nurse at the day hospital. I dont know what training she has had. I'm hoping to see the workbook shes got in the morning. I'll let yous know more after i see her 1st thing tomorow morning.

Pixie37

Pixie37

Well i'm leaving in an hour to see my nurse to start this work. I'm scared and nervous. I'm shaking and my tummys in knot. But i'm desperate to start this to get better. Hugs please??

A

Allyke

Hugs! Hope it goes well, Pixie xx

C

clairelouise

Sending you warm hugs Pixie, how did it go? xxxxxxxxx

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hiya all,
Well i had to give my nurse a catch up on how i've been. Shes given me the name of the workbook. Its on BPD by Lorraine Bell. I looked it up on the net. Shes a doctor consultant pyscologist. Book called "Managing intense emotions and self destructive behaviour". She said next week we are going to start the section 'Understanding and managing emotions' I laughed and said 'yeah i'm F S***E at that' LOL!
Shes given me a relaxation cd too. So i have to do this this afternoon. And then go to a 6week relaxation group starting monday. :)

L

Leftgirl

Sounds like it went okay... good luck Pixie!

maxitab

maxitab

Oh Pixie, you did so well, and I am so pleased you are getting some help. I think it's good they are trying to put something in place for you rather than make you sit about waiting, and I wish you every success. Don't get discouraged when it seems it is too hard.....
I don't know that book but it sounds interesting, I'll have a look. Anything I can use to help myself is always a boost!

Do tell us and share how it is going. I recommend you get a nice exercise book and record every one of your successes, even the most simple thing because it is hard to remember that we did it! I used to write in mine, things like "actually got there (to therapy) today without having a shaking session in the street" and "feel like I managed to relax a bit today".

Biggest huggles (hug AND cuddle) to you! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

bullybeef

bullybeef

Hi,
this is my first post and I hope the start of many.
Pixie, good luck with your therapy. Personally I found one on one helped more as I don't share easily. There is a vital componant required for success and that is total honesty with your therapist and more importantly, honesty with yourself. The latter is the most difficult but vital.
I am BPD with componants from other disorders chucked in. Therapy and working inwards in my own time has relieved many symptoms and understanding what the triggers are, helps to control the severity and the length of time that it lasts.
Anyway I hope it works for you. I wish you the very best :)