Befriending mean voices

V

Viktoria

Hello there,

I hear four voices. One girl is seven and doesn't say much, one girl is fourteen and two are men that sound like they're in their thirtees.

The fourteen year old, Becky, wants me to come to her world and now that I've said I don't want to come (yet) she is very angry. The two male voices shout at me all day calling me mean names.

Has anyone got experience with befriending voices that are mean to you?

I take 700mg Clozapine (Leponex) and they are still there most of the time.

I'd really appreciate any input!

Thank you in advance.

Unique1

Unique1

Hi Victoria.

Sorry I don't have any experience of befriending voices.
I hope someine comes along soon who does have expereince of this.

I wanted you to know I had read your post and that I wish you well.

Unique 1
X

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hi becky I just realised my screaming child voice is me, the men are awful derogatory souls

Poppy12

Poppy12

Hi Viktoria I have a very destructive voice that at first seemed all powerful and capable of making me do awful things against my will.

Once I started treating the voice with compassion I realised that she is a hurt abused child who hides behind a terrifying disguise. She has been terribly hurt and has become violent and full of self hatred and self loathing - and full of white hot anger.

At the bottom of it all I realised she represents part of myself - she is my shadow side or the place I put all my distressing angry emotions at being abused in childhood - feelings it was not safe for me to own as a child. She is full of hate for me as she blames the abuse on me. And full of anger towards family members for not protecting her.

I speak to her when she's upset and shouting at me - the understanding of who and why she is doesn't make her go away but instead allows us to live side by side without so much pain and distress. Basically I show her some compassion and that defuses some of the power and destructiveness she has displayed in the past.

D

Deliah

Hey Viktoria, Yes lots of experience of befriending voices. I recommend to you a book called 'Living with voices' 50 stories of recovery. I talk kindly to 'mean voices'. Sometimes I give them imaginary presents, like cakes, or whatever I like. Sometimes I ask them what they need or I say to myself what do I need. Sometimes, I say slowly and kindly 'Go to where you belong' and then I distract myself. Sometimes I say 'that's thinking, I'm in charge now'. The voices are like your reflection so can be an indication of what you need. What do your 'mean voices' say Viktoria, if it feels ok, to tell me. Glad you aren't going with Becky. Maybe you can thank her but explain that you have to make the decisions and that works much better. Maybe give her an imaginary present. I think she may just be used to having a lot of your attention and need to know that she is still cared for but it is important for you to be in charge. It's good to create boundaries with voices. What do you think Becky needs. Maybe ask her and find out. She may say that she needs you to come with her, but maybe you can question that. Where exactly do you think there is that she could take you? Does she say that when you're feeling unsafe? Can you say to her. It's ok. Thank you Beccy for making me aware that you don't feel safe. Now, I can do something about it. You have all the wisdom you need within you Viktoria. What do you think you need. love D xxxx

Kerome

Kerome

Think you have strike a balance with Becky, on the one hand befriend her and on the other show her that you're in charge, and that it has to be that way.

Befriending has a lot to do with first finding common ground, things you can talk about and interact about in a positive way. Imaginary presents as Deliah says are a good idea. Then beyond finding common ground you can make common cause, and do something small together, like gardening. Just make sure that you stay in charge.

Maybe Becky can intercede with some of the other voices on your behalf - talk for you, try and help persuade them. Or maybe you can befriend the child, and she can help you.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

One of my voices can be very callous and rude. But he is also very violent. As I've had my voices since childhood I guess ive kinda grown accustomed to his threats and instructions on violent acts. Perhaps you could meditate and she can show you in your mind where she wants you to go. My voices sometimes show me images of what they want to show me. But you may not have visual hallucinations as I do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Hearing Voices Forum 20