• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Been trying to open a bank account for 10 years and STILL CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

midnite

midnite

Been trying to open a bank account for 10 years and STILL CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been trying to open my own bank account for about 10 years now and STILL cant!!!! :sorry: (previous to this i used someone elses account, but need my own account now)
Ive been to the HSBC who tell me they will ONLY accept a passport as ID.
Llyods bank will accpet a passport and accept a provisinal licience
I dont not have any of these forms of ID. ( and its very difficult for me to get them at the moment)

I have a DRs letter were she says has known me for over 15 years and endorsed my photo were the dr says on the back of the photo that this is a true likness of the named person in the photo attached to this letter.
Does anyone know of any bank that will allow me to open an account with this ID? what about barcalys or bank of scotland ect?

It seems incredible to me that the ID from my Dr can be used to obtain a provisional license which in turn can open a bank account, so why cant the drs letter be used directly by a bank instead of at first using my DRs ID to obtain the provisional liecence????
Its seems complete madness !

Or better still is there an online bank that i can aplie for online, that will DEFINITLY accept me without a passport nor provisional license.
But the online account needs to have a cash card so I can order stuff via the internet ect.
Oh and I want an account with NO charges whatsoever aslong as I dont go over drawn whIch I neever do.

I only need a bank account so can have my benefit paid in, otherwize id have nothing whatsoever to do with banks, they absolutely rip people off!

I NEVER KNEW HOW IT WUD BE SO DIFFICULT TO DO JUST THE SIMPLEST OF THINGS LIKE OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!! :sorry:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Post Office account should be OK
Or try a local Credit Union.

Due to fraud, money laundering, international terrorism etc - the ID requirements for a main bank account are now comprehensive.

midnite

midnite

Post Office account should be OK
Or try a local Credit Union.

Due to fraud, money laundering, international terrorism etc - the ID requirements for a main bank account are now comprehensive.
Thanks for that advice, Yes its easy to open a post office account, they take almost any form of ID and would certainly accept my drs letters and photo, but unfortunalty were I am at the moment, we dont have post office accounts here anymore!

Im sure there are online bank accounts somewere that will take people WITH no ID.
If any one knows of one please put up a link thanks as I need some kind of account with cash card were my benefit can be paid in.

Im wondering if I could apply for a post office account online and open a UK post office account and get my beneift paid directly into that UK account ?

Dunno, just dont know why its so difficult to open a bank account, when my DRS letter and my endorsed photo is actually FAR more reliable as ID than a passport or provisional liceince could ever be!
They can be forged ect far easier than a DRS letter can be!

Will try the local credit union in a min, will google it to see if I can open an online account, thanks

Last edited:
S

sickntired

Hi

I just opened an account with Natwest, I don't have license or passport either, I took in
1- my benefit entitlement letter
2-national insurance card
3- two letters with my home address on
4- a hospital letter

and I think that was it. they just checked my national insurance number, my address, my hospital letter with my name and DOB and the hospital letter, so im sure if you took all those in, as well as your photo and letter from doctor they MIGHT be able to sort one for you. i'd ask about it
xx

flowergirl

flowergirl

hi i also opened an account with natwest. they checked my identity on the electoral roll i didnt have to send in any id ..i did it all on line i filled in the details and then about 5 days later they sent me a letter to sign and send back which i did. then they sent me a cash card and cheque book.xx

S

sickntired

oh yeah, flowergirl is right, they check the electoral roll too so I think NatWest is best place to go if you still need an acct :)

K

Kermit

Hi,
Try the Co-op, I opened one over phone with no hassle. That was about two year ago and the account is very basic but given my credit score is worse than Greece's, it'll do me!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i was hoping to get direct payments they said i needed a seperate account so i tried to open an account lloyds offered a basic one you could only use their cashpoint and not the link, i said isn't that a breech of the disability discrimination act they said no because it's due to you been on benefits

Another bank refused me on the grounds my nat wes bank card wasn;t registered at my adresss since they;re machine refuses cash withdrawals, i'd turned up with a letter from the bankers assoc provided by the direct payments but i think the top man they contacted was bigoted against schitzoprenia

I've got a bank account with nat west i had from before i was ill, it's just as well i've kept it on and not got into debt or i'd have problems opening a account

midnite

midnite

Thanks for everyones replies, its apprecatied! :)

I got a bit sick n tired in the end of continually going to banks tying to open an account and told I dont have the right proof if ID ect in fact it became a nitemare! Years and years of trying to open a bank account!!!:sorry:
So in the end i had 2 applie for a driving license!

And this was a load of hassle in itself!!!! had to applie and pay for a birth certificate, this took weeks to come thru, then had to go and get some photos done take these to the DR to sign the back of the photos which cost me another £20, then send all these off, more weeks later, and the driving licence cost another £18 in all it cost me over £70 just to get a driving license in order to open a bank account !

What ever happened to the days were people could just walk into a bank with no ID and paper work whaso ever, just tell them your name and address and you open an account!
It was so simple !

Buy anyways it took me years and years, and had to pay out over £70 to open a llyds bank account, but I got there in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I havent a clue why the HSBC bank will only accept a passport as ID to open a bank account!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i applied for direct payments i turned up at santander with a letter from the bankers assoc saying i should be allowed to open an account, i neeeded a 2nd bank account where direct payments could be processed, i showed my nat west bank card to the women she said pityingly thats not a credit card then she phoned up someone in central office who refused and since then my card doesn't work in they're machine. should phone up my bank about it, i think it was the disability schitzoprenia that provoked the guys reaction

I never got direct payments in the end despite the case reaching the parliamentary ombudsmans office

midnite

midnite

when i applied for direct payments i turned up at santander with a letter from the bankers assoc saying i should be allowed to open an account, i neeeded a 2nd bank account where direct payments could be processed, i showed my nat west bank card to the women she said pityingly thats not a credit card then she phoned up someone in central office who refused and since then my card doesn't work in they're machine. should phone up my bank about it, i think it was the disability schitzoprenia that provoked the guys reaction

I never got direct payments in the end despite the case reaching the parliamentary ombudsmans office
Not sure what you mean by "direct payments"? payments from who? the DHSS?
Surely the dhss pay your benefits into any bank account no matter were you live ect as long of course you have a valid drs sickness certificate in place?
Good luck anyways, hope you get things sorted!

Anyways I now have a bank account, just wondering does anyone know whats the highest rate of sickness benefit paid to someone if you were living in liverpool if your accommodation was at the highest rate ? ie you were living in a hotel for example and so your rent was about £200 per week or more ?
Just the normal rate of sickness benefit , not DLA nor Incapacity benefit ect, I just get income support (sickness benefit) and nothing more, nothing less!
Whats the highest rate of sicknesss benefit you can claim in liverpool for basic sickness benefit (income support) given that your housing expenses is at the highest rate?

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
direct payments now called personalised payments are where instead of receiving care from the council the money is given to yo to provide your own care, you have to show whats bought is care

Sickness benefit is not income support income support can include a amount of incapacity benefit, the highest rate was when you got the severe disability premium, well there is one higher the disability min income, anyway it's changed to esa the highest rate is the support group

I think what you mean is the sick rate of income support, there are higher rates you should be transferred to esa the highest the support group the wrag group you'll be expected to engage in work related activities

liverpool may operationally be different to london were the idea is thers jobs for everyone and the onus is heavy to prove illness

forgot to add dla now becoming personalised independence payment will get you the disability money

N

Neil378

Hi I also managed to get an account with Co-Op when everyone else refused me (mind you I have been made bankrupt before. I know they are changing their policy regarding bankrupt applicants but not sure when) but if your not bankrupt they may still accept you.
Regards Neil

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Hi I also managed to get an account with Co-Op when everyone else refused me (mind you I have been made bankrupt before. I know they are changing their policy regarding bankrupt applicants but not sure when) but if your not bankrupt they may still accept you.
Regards Neil
the co op bank is very much in the news at the moment, bad banking practices it'd appear

N

Neil378

ooh, i've heard about the top guy but didn't know about any other stuff