Been started on sertraline 50mg

Ell9199

Ell9199

So my sudden with no warning at all panic attacks are now ruling my life. Everyday I’m at its mercy just waiting on the dreaded and sudden feeling of detachment from my surroundings/those around me. The tightening in my head the weaking of my legs and absolute fear Im ready to collapse or take some sort of seizure. I’m on diazepam which helps obviously once the panic attack hits but I told my psychiatrist yesterday (begged him) to give me something that will just take away the feeling completely where I’m not living like this. I feel the diazepam are just treating the symptoms but I’d obviously much rather something to prevent it. Sooooo he’s prescribed me 50mg of sertraline one a day. Has anyone else been prescribed these for anxiety/panic and have they helped? I’m so desperate to just feel “normal” again. Xxx

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Hi, yes I started on 50mg I'm up to 100mg now, but I found that that even 50mg helped me it stopped the dips in my mood being as deep X my advice (not a mental health professional) would be to stay with it for at least 4-5 weeks and hopefully you will start to feel less worried and depressed X

Ell9199

Ell9199

Hi, yes I started on 50mg I'm up to 100mg now, but I found that that even 50mg helped me it stopped the dips in my mood being as deep X my advice (not a mental health professional) would be to stay with it for at least 4-5 weeks and hopefully you will start to feel less worried and depressed X
I never really felt depressed these panic attacks just hit from no where but the longer they have continued and stopped me doing things I once enjoyed etc I’ve defo become down and fed up in general often crying just wishing it away. Thanks for the reply and I will let u know how I get on x

L

Lonely Planet

About 5 weeks now on Sertraline....upped from 50 to 100mg 2 weeks ago. TBH, I don't feel it does anything but maybe I'd be worse without. Still can't sleep and get muscle tics and still feel as anxious but as I say maybe I'd be worse without it and the doctor and my therapist think it's worth sticking with as it takes a while.

Victorianna

Victorianna

I’m on sertraline (Zoloft) 100mg/day. It takes awhile, but it helps with depression.
I’m also on Clonazepam (Klonopin), which is a benzodiazepine like diazepam (Valium) and it helps with anxiety tremendously. I take 1mg 2xday, it lasts all day long, and the anxiety is just gone. I haven’t had a panic attack since a few days after starting it, before was having them three to four times a day.
Valium and Xanax (I took before Klonopin) are fast acting, but don’t last long, and the anxiety just comes back.
My psychiatrist says you can only stay on benzos for a short while. I’ve been on it one month, and he says I now need to start to taper off it. Try to do as much exposure as possible once you get your anxiety under control. Try meditation, exercise, sleeping and eating right, distraction.
So, you might ask your doctor about Klonopin. Also, I’d recommend to keep giving Zoloft a try. It’s possible that your anxiety is caused in part by depression. But I don’t think Zoloft alone can handle anxiety.

L

Lonely Planet

Thanks for the post Victorianna. TBH, I've never been convinced I needed medication for depression and it definitely doesn't help my anxiety or my sleep (lack of and inability to).
I am using the Headspace app and doing ok with distraction although restrictive eating is one of my more persistent coping strategies.

Victorianna

Victorianna

Zoloft takes some time (4-6 weeks) to really start being effective.
stopped the dips in my mood being as deep
This is what I’ve found with Zoloft. I’ve been on it for years. Occasionally I’ll think I’m cured, and stop taking it. I’ll be okay for awhile, then something will trigger my anxiety and it’s back down the rabbit hole again for me!
That’s how my current problems started. So, I’m back on Zoloft and this time for good. It keeps your moods even, at least for me, so when anxiety provoking situations occur, they are easier to handle.

Ell9199

Ell9199

i agree When I’m having a panic attack the diazepam defo is quick acting but doesn’t last and throughout the day the feelings creep back up on me. My dr is hoping the sertraline will work in time (they did say it would probably need gradually increased) and then tapered off the diazepam. Im axtually scared to take the sertraline as don’t want to feel spaced out/sick/funny or just generally not right as it’s “not feeling right” with no reason that causes my panic attacks as I end up convinced something terrible is about to happen to me. It’s like a vicious circle.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I hope it, helps and you can feel less panicked X

Victorianna

Victorianna

Im axtually scared to take the sertraline as don’t want to feel spaced out/sick/funny or just generally not right as it’s “not feeling right” with no reason that causes my panic attacks
Every medicine works differently for every person, so no guarantees, but from my experience: after a week or so adjustment period, the side effects start to go away, and by 4-6 weeks you will know if it’s working or not.
It doesn’t make you feel like a zombie or anything, it just keeps your mood level. You don’t feel weird, just mostly normal, and able to cope.
You can help with the side effects by keeping your blood sugar level by eating snacks, and if you have a headache, take aspirin. It might make you sleepy at first, so I take it at night.
I think starting at a low level and the adjusting up as needed is the best plan.

RueBea85

RueBea85

I'm on Zoloft right now, and it makes me feel like a zombie. I'm asking my doctor about changing my dose or trying something else. It has lessened my anxiety, and I've only had one panic attack in the last month. However, it's made my depression worse. I no longer enjoy getting out of bed or doing things. So I think I was way up on the anxiety end, now I'm too far down on the depression end. I need something to put me into the middle.
I do think that this medication has helped to even out my emotions though. I don't get as worked up about things, but I've also become extremely apathetic. I no longer like doing school work, I don't even like going out or being with friends.
I've been on 100mg for about 8 weeks now.

edit: I've felt spaced out on this medication, but this does work differently for everyone, so maybe it will work for you.

Ell9199

Ell9199

I took my first 50mg dose at bedtime last night and feel fine this morning so hopefully slept or over the coming days as it builds up will sleep off the worst of the symptoms. I’m going to remain hopeful they work for me as everyone is very different. I do imagine it will prob need increased but will go with it for now. This morning (so far) seems less daunting than yesterday long may or last xx