• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Been prescribed propranolol 40mg

Nirvana2991

Nirvana2991

Hey guys is this effective for anxiety if so what does it feel like what should I expect will it relieve my tight chest from anxiety

Topcat

Topcat

Hi, I use propranolol as and when I need it, either 10mg several times through the day or I have 80mg ones that are meant to be one a day.
I find it helps the physical symptoms of anxiety, helps the tight chest, racing heart, shakiness etc. It doesn't feel like much, maybe a little like being a bit stoned, it makes my boss, who also takes it sometimes, a bit "not with it" and overly chilled.
At a time I was using it every day I had a confrontation with my ex bosses boyfriend, something which would normally make me panic, but I was chill and able to deal with it. Helps a lot with job interviews or other anxiety inducing events!

Topcat

Topcat

Is it safe for an ex smoker?

I can't see why not, just had a look on NHS and it doesn't mention anything. It did say if you have lung disease or asthma you should talk to your doctor before taking them, and it made me remember that another side effect I've noticed is it can make me sightly wheezy feeling (I'm mildly asthmatic) but more at higher doses.

Can I take it if my heart isnt racing
Yes of course, I hope you find it helps you. I'm not keen on taking prescription drugs myself, but I feel fine with taking propranolol. For me the benefit outweighs any mild side effects.

Nirvana2991

Nirvana2991

I can't see why not, just had a look on NHS and it doesn't mention anything. It did say if you have lung disease or asthma you should talk to your doctor before taking them, and it made me remember that another side effect I've noticed is it can make me sightly wheezy feeling (I'm mildly asthmatic) but more at higher doses.

Yes of course, I hope you find it helps you. I'm not keen on taking prescription drugs myself, but I feel fine with taking propranolol. For me the benefit outweighs any mild side effects.
Thank you so should I be okay I have a lot of anxiety around medications

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
I used to take this 3 x a day for anxiety but it lowered my blood pressure too much and i kept fainting. It’s now reduced to twice a day and it really helps.i have a very high pulse rate 125 resting and 165 with anxiety. So taking this bring my pulse rat down to under 100. I find they work within 20/30 mins for me and i dont get any side effects now. I also have Lorazepam PRN along with two different antidepressants. Without this concoction I wouldn’t be able to get out of the house

Nirvana2991

Nirvana2991

I used to take this 3 x a day for anxiety but it lowered my blood pressure too much and i kept fainting. It’s now reduced to twice a day and it really helps.i have a very high pulse rate 125 resting and 165 with anxiety. So taking this bring my pulse rat down to under 100. I find they work within 20/30 mins for me and i dont get any side effects now. I also have Lorazepam PRN along with two different antidepressants. Without this concoction I wouldn’t be able to get out of the house
Hello daffy I've been prescribed 40mg daily for anxiety is it safe to take even if my heart rate isnt pounding

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
Hello daffy I've been prescribed 40mg daily for anxiety is it safe to take even if my heart rate isnt pounding

Yes cos any form of anxiety will increase your heart rate a little as thats what causes the anxiety. If you’ve been prescribed it take it firstly when your staying indoors so you can check if there are any side effects. But i now just keep them on me at all times . I also take lorazepam but wouldnt take that if i had to drive as its quite a strong relaxant

Nirvana2991

Nirvana2991

Yes cos any form of anxiety will increase your heart rate a little as thats what causes the anxiety. If you’ve been prescribed it take it firstly when your staying indoors so you can check if there are any side effects. But i now just keep them on me at all times . I also take lorazepam but wouldnt take that if i had to drive as its quite a strong relaxant
Hello daffy spoke to the out out of hours doctors today and he said to take 20mg