• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Been on ESA trial phase since June 2013.

D

Darkpigeon

Hello everyone, my first post on here

I made a claim to PIP and ESA on the same day back in June 2013... Somehow only the PIP took nearly a year to decide but ESA still continues to drag its heals.

I made the claims because of my mental health, I suffer from Social anxiety, Unstable emotional personality disorder - Impulsive type (or borderline personality disorder for short) and Depression. after making phone calls every month to two months as I could not stomach ringing them any more frequent then that and I have to use someone elses phone as I don't cope with unexpected phone calls, And they pretty much gave me the same response each time, that it was processing and that I was in a queue for a medical assessment and to just wait as there was nothing they could do. So I did and I have had a wonderful time trying to live and not end myself in the process of waiting.

I stopped seeing friends and became alot more recluse, not easy to socialize when you havent the money to travel to them and its not fun to be around someone who is constantly depressed and angry (But I am guessing alot of you reading know how I feel, This is just to let me rant a little). I finally got back in touch with a friend as after so long you start attacking yourself more then normal and start needing someone and anyone, she had been diagnosed with PTSD whilst I was "away" and had been going through the ESA and PIP claims... I visited her a few times and after her telling me how short a time she had waited, I was furious and so I made another phone cal to ATOS and Demanded to speak to someone higher up after the person on the phone told me my progress was "In a queue to go in a queue" to get a medical assessment, I can't remember what all I said but I Demanded I spoke to his supervisor, someone or anyone who was higher then him, he told me that I could not so I demanded he put whoever in that office had more authority then him to grab them and stick them on the phone... He said he could not again, I started asking who I needed to speak to about legal action, who I could complain to and then I explained to him how I was not angry at him personally but I was bordering hysterical if someone did not give me an answer now. I was always polite as even in the mist of a temper tantrum I still have to be nice so that someone does not think worse of me then they already might do... I had to pass the phone to my mom after I ended up talking in circles refusing to put the phone down. I had a emotional attack my "jimmies were so rustled". They told my mom that human resources (I think) would phone me the next day and let me make a complaint, My mom asked why she could not just ring that department instead of waiting for a phone call that will probably never come... and he said they don't have one (seriously wtf).

The next day they did ring my mom, suprisingly and my mom had (she basicly set it up so that ATOS ring her when they want to speak to me so that she can then hang up and ring me to warn me exactly when they will phone me so that I don't get caught off guard and not answer, I was using my sisters phone as my mom had to work so was not with me for the call) passed the call to me and ATOS said that there had been a "Developement" in my claim and that I was now just waiting to receive a letter with in the week for my medical assessment... I was critical (and happy and shocked) and said it was no coincidence as they had tried to explain it that between yesterday where I was "In a queue to be in a queue for a medical assessment" and today here I have skipped both queues and now had an appointment but just waiting on a letter... she tried to hang up before I could collect my thoughts enough to remember I was making a complaint and and nearly screamed down the phone telling her not to hang up. She said I would receive a letter to make the complaint with a free post envelope.

I had the assessment on the 3rd of March 2015 after the original one on the 26th of February 2015 was cancelled as I arrived for it. I can't stand uch more waiting then I have already had, I got tired of it a long time ago and fear I will really do something stupid because of it. so I am wondering from what I have seen online, What do people predict as to when I will get a decision?

(I don't even want to imagine getting told I failed)

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It's not uncommon for people to have to wait for quite a long time to get a medical assessment. Because they had all that hassle with Atos and a new firm is taking over, it meant longer waiting times.

I really wouldn't like to guess how long you'll have to wait until you hear back, but it should be within 4 weeks. It really does just depend on the area you live in and how busy things are. I wish I could be more specific, but unfortunately these organisations are not very organised..

SarahD

SarahD

The whole ESA assessment is a nightmare. I am waiting for an assessment (my second) since January last year. It is all so stressful. All the relevant information has changed since then. I thought of sending copies of new "evidence" in the hope they might decide without doing an assessment, but I don't know where to send it. I suppose I could phone DWP and ask. I wonder if Maximus are taking over the backlog or if Atos will have to complete it.

Wish you luck Dark Pigeon, hope you get a good result.

D

Darkpigeon

Thanks both of you, I am very fortunate that after how little money I have lived on that I am somehow not in debt still, thanks to my family who have been very supportive. Which also makes me lucky in the sense that I will have some money to help "enrich my life" after the ordeal finally turning into some kind of normality. Will try comment back here if I manage to actually get a decision soon. Just hope to dear life that its the right one after all this time.

D

Darkpigeon

Just wanted to update you on that I have been put into one of the groups as I checked my bank account and I have the backdated money, not 100% sure but looks like I have been put into the support group. Just waiting on the letter now. Finally feel like I can breath again for the first time since this whole thing started. :D