been offered schema therapy

M

mrspoon

Just finished a psychology assessment and the psychologist has offered me schema therapy ,she said I have a very fixed idea about the world /myself and other people ,she said my childhood was very abusive and I also experienced being exploited. So it's no surprise to anyone I behave and think like I do.

She feels schema therapy would be better for me than DBT. as she thinks my problems completely stem from my childhood and my behaviours are deeply embedded from that . She is a really nice lady and I find working with her even during the assessment good, I have had therapy in the past which involved the therapist sitting in silence basically and looking at me and I had to talk.He rarely said anything .I got nothing from it. I much prefer her style.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hey mr spoon that is great. yeah ive had those in the past and its ludicrous and they get paid good money to do burger all as
i saw it. i hope it works out for you.

M

mrspoon

hey mr spoon that is great. yeah ive had those in the past and its ludicrous and they get paid good money to do burger all as
i saw it. i hope it works out for you.
What I didn't understand was, I have had several bad periods where I was under home treatment or got detained by the police under mental health act, and when I was assessed the mh worker as who my therapist was, when I said ,they basically rolled their eyes to the heavens, in fact one time I described his style, not wanting to name him, and the mh worker knew exactly who I was talking about ,basically I was told I wasn't the only person who could not get anything from the therapy . He has a bit of a reputation, my social worker had concerns and wanted to talk to him and he refused to speak to her. And didn't reply to any of the messages she left.

So knowing all this, and also the fact apparently I am one of the most risky patients on my social workers caseload why didn't anyone intervene earlier.? I was under him a year and it was a total waste of time. Some appointments I would leave really paranoid. Seeing this new psychologist is totally different. I feel calmer and much better. even after the first assessment appointment.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

yeah these muppets annoy me as they dont do much if anything at all for the therapist reputation
but maybe his style might work for some i would like to think so as why else would he be employed?
the mind boggles? makes me wonder what kind of parent they are to their children if they have any eeeeeek!

ah well so now you know what a hopeless therapist is like! so good at last that you have a good one!