• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Been fighting for 20 years now

Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Hi everybody,

I'm a 39 year old man and if you'd walked past on my on a sidewalk you'd probably do your best not to bump into me. I was given the looks of a burly badass but sprinkled with crippling depression, just to make things interesting.

The first time I've seen a psychiatrist was at the age of 19. They were pretty loose with the meds and I was put on antidepressants then and there.

It's fair to say that up to that point, nothing bad has yet happened to me. Fast forward a few years and, within a year and a half) I loose the only parent I had, my fiance (break up), I lose my job and the private company I start after that goes under.

Stuff happens and I didn't really feel anything "crippling" in the midst of all that. I was just fighting. There was apparently still some juice in my brain.

It's only when I started a successful business and could relax a bit that I broke to pieces. I was officially clinically depressed. It's been a daily battle ever since - my therapist of 8 years says that that I am the single case most resistant to antidepressant she's ever treated.

Where I am today - about 7 months ago I started a relationship with this nice girl. I'm trying to somehow keep it together but all of the patterns of a serious depression episode are here again. I know what most of you will say to this but I'm trying to hide it because she's extremely scared of it. I could tell the first time I told her about it and the one or two times I mentioned it since.

On top of that, my business is pretty much in the gutter. It's not about the depression, it's just come Covid-related stuff that changed the industry I'm in. That's not the worst part when it comes to work - I've pulled myself out by the bootstraps before, but this time it's different. My brain is just not there - I'm flat-lining every time I try to do something.

I have what I believe to be a practical approach to depression. For about 10 years now, I think that I haven't experienced real joy. And I got used to it. Every day is a conscious effort and a battle and I got away with it until now, mostly because I managed to grow a business that brings an almost passive income. It's been a long time since I had to do anything demanding.

Bottom line - this is the first time my depression is threatening my very livelihood and existence.

As I said, I try to have a practical approach to these things so I'll be asking some specific questions in separate threads.

It's a relief to say stuff and know it won't fall on deaf ears.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Sandinic Hi Again! Been years! Introduce Yourself 2
M It's been a long time coming, but I know a change gonna come. Introduce Yourself 3
U Hello. Been recommended this forum. Introduce Yourself 6
L Hi, I'm Lovemusic . My main concernis to try and build self-esteem having been put down in lotd of ways and misjudged completely by lots of people Introduce Yourself 5
K Hi.my name steve.been having a real rough patch lately and hoping to find like minded people to chat with. Introduce Yourself 7
K I have been on Ketipinor for 18 years now and I m not happy wth it Introduce Yourself 12
J Hi.brand new to this.i have just been diagnosed with clclothymic disorder.any advice on this would be more than grateful.thanks. Introduce Yourself 6
A Help! My mental health is the lowest it's been. Introduce Yourself 7
MoodFlicker Hello, not new but has been a while Introduce Yourself 14
D I've been drinking Introduce Yourself 38
M please help me I am at the lowest I have been Introduce Yourself 3
i_must_be_mad Not been on here for many years - life been tough Introduce Yourself 3
T I’ve been here a week and only seen this....hello... Introduce Yourself 11
SilentButCaring82 My Whole Life Has Been Hard, and I'm Very Tired Introduce Yourself 5
Agatha Haven't Been Here in Forever Introduce Yourself 4
G this has been a big step for me. Introduce Yourself 9
H I am a mother who has a son who has just been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He has had psychosis since he was 16 and is now 22. Introduce Yourself 4
kilroywashere21 I’ve Been Struggling With Bipolar Disorder Since 2015 Introduce Yourself 1
The Synthguy Fighting the good fight. Introduce Yourself 4
H Anxiety of others arguing and fighting Introduce Yourself 2
M Motorcycle lady, here goes I've suffered with depression for a number of years and as well as being ADHD with RSD Introduce Yourself 4
S going on 5 years of getting my shit together for real this time. Introduce Yourself 6
K I am New. I have had Major depress Disorder and anxiety for 15 years.I am on lots or of med and need people to talk to who understand. Introduce Yourself 5
R Have bipolar 1 disorder for 30 years Introduce Yourself 3
B 65 years of depression Introduce Yourself 8
E Hi I’ve had 0cd 58 years Introduce Yourself 6
P 4 years depression (since I acknowledged it) Introduce Yourself 19
S 4 years and counting... Introduce Yourself 6
K Taking Dr prescibled xanax .50 mg at bedtime for ten years. I notice Im dizzy alot and have passed out two times the last two years. I want OFF this!! Introduce Yourself 2
S Depression bit me at 59 years old Introduce Yourself 5
M I'm back here after a few years. Introduce Yourself 6
B Ill for 13 years Introduce Yourself 3
K Hi. Im 29 from greater Manchester and have had bulimia for 13+ years Introduce Yourself 3
S 36 years a service user Introduce Yourself 4
T Hello, i.m jen and i.m new i.ve never done anything like this, i was diagnosed with bpd a couple of years ago and i really struggle. Introduce Yourself 8