• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Been a while...but health anxiety is returning with a vengeance.

P

PaleRider13

Hey everyone, Pale checking in once more.

The issues from past posts have largely been addressed...with one exception. My health anxiety is back, and stronger than before.

I've come to terms with my congenital epilepsy and made peace with that, but my neurosis on my heart is still at large. Symptoms are the same as ever: overwhelming fear of having a heart attack and a massive hypersensitivity to bodily sensations in the chest. It's invading my life and I'd like to stop, but it feels so habitual now that I can't imagine not doing it.

I'm talking about constantly checking heart rate, checking to see if the beat itself is strong enough etc. I have to check regularly every couple hours and I can't go to sleep unless I have my hand over my heart. The irony is, when I do this it doesn't actually give me the peace of mind I seek, and simply prevents me from sleeping by giving me sleep starts, or hypnic jerks. It's even gotten so bad, that most of the time I can't even wear a top or shirt, because it feels "suffocating".

What I'm describing has been at large for a year, possibly two, and over the past couple days I've really felt the impact. You see, it was two days ago that I actually booked in for my first Covid vaccination, which takes place today.

I've been doing some research, and it seems to be a mix of anxiety as well as OCD (both of which I have plenty of)

I suppose what I'm asking is, how can I re-learn to trust my own body? Ever since I got my first panic attack many years ago, my mind has never been the same. It's just a constant cycle of fear, symptoms, and more fear. How do I break this cycle? CBT has been all but useless, and other therapies have only been successful with other, more arbitrary problems. Can anyone relate? Will I ever be the same again? A calm and confident person?

L

littledogs

I have similar I don't trust my own body..so I self harm I think my Body wants to trap me...I have tried so hard to do protect the thing from disease.
Yet it still keeps frightening me.. getting throat tickles occasionally..making me worry about the dreaded virus.. sometimes I think Im past repairing my relationship with this body and should just quit..but I really want to spend time with my dog's...

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

The issues from past posts have largely been addressed...with one exception. My health anxiety is back, and stronger than before.

I've come to terms with my congenital epilepsy and made peace with that, but my neurosis on my heart is still at large. Symptoms are the same as ever: overwhelming fear of having a heart attack and a massive hypersensitivity to bodily sensations in the chest. It's invading my life and I'd like to stop, but it feels so habitual now that I can't imagine not doing it.

I'm talking about constantly checking heart rate, checking to see if the beat itself is strong enough etc. I have to check regularly every couple hours and I can't go to sleep unless I have my hand over my heart. The irony is, when I do this it doesn't actually give me the peace of mind I seek, and simply prevents me from sleeping by giving me sleep starts, or hypnic jerks. It's even gotten so bad, that most of the time I can't even wear a top or shirt, because it feels "suffocating".

What I'm describing has been at large for a year, possibly two, and over the past couple days I've really felt the impact. You see, it was two days ago that I actually booked in for my first Covid vaccination, which takes place today.

I've been doing some research, and it seems to be a mix of anxiety as well as OCD (both of which I have plenty of)

I suppose what I'm asking is, how can I re-learn to trust my own body? Ever since I got my first panic attack many years ago, my mind has never been the same. It's just a constant cycle of fear, symptoms, and more fear. How do I break this cycle? CBT has been all but useless, and other therapies have only been successful with other, more arbitrary problems. Can anyone relate? Will I ever be the same again? A calm and confident person?
Go to your GP and have a complete physical performed, including an EKG. If everything looks fine, relax. You'll probably live to be 100.

The stress from anxiety is probably worse than any physical condition you have, you need to get that under control. The best way to do it is knowledge-and you can get that from your GP.

P

PaleRider13

Go to your GP and have a complete physical performed, including an EKG. If everything looks fine, relax. You'll probably live to be 100.

The stress from anxiety is probably worse than any physical condition you have, you need to get that under control. The best way to do it is knowledge-and you can get that from your GP.
Hi Alexander. Thanks for the advice. I've had the tests you suggest when I was initially diagnosed a couple years back. As you suspect, everything's fine. Everyone else knows it, but for some reason my mind refuses to accept it as reality. I'm probably going to have to go back for some more intensive therapy as that did wonders for me last year.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Hi Alexander. Thanks for the advice. I've had the tests you suggest when I was initially diagnosed a couple years back. As you suspect, everything's fine. Everyone else knows it, but for some reason my mind refuses to accept it as reality. I'm probably going to have to go back for some more intensive therapy as that did wonders for me last year.
Therapy is always a good idea, we all have things inside us that need airing out.

Most of anxiety is based on foundation-less concerns. Our own mind becomes our enemy, it starts 'catastrophizing' and seeing terrible scenarios every way we look. Medication can help, but the best solution to anxiety is learning to live in the NOW and not let our mind imagine terrible things in the future. I know, that's easy to say and hard to do-but every journey starts with one or two steps. Work on focusing on NOW and you'll get better over time.

Peace.

L

Lurch

Morning Pale, what you describe is quite upsetting. I’ve suffered from this on and off through my life. Anything such as a cough or a pain must be something sinister and eventually fatal. Even minor things must be a sign of something catastrophic going on, and if you resolve one thing, something else takes its place. No amount of physical evidence proving you are healthy changes anything. Your mind is much more powerful. I agree with Alexander, including therapy is a way to go. You say you have tried many therapies, have you tried hypnotherapy? It has helped me in the past, and often misunderstood which stops people using it.
Best of luck. I hope your covid vaccination went well.

L

Lurch

I have similar I don't trust my own body..so I self harm I think my Body wants to trap me...I have tried so hard to do protect the thing from disease.
Yet it still keeps frightening me.. getting throat tickles occasionally..making me worry about the dreaded virus.. sometimes I think Im past repairing my relationship with this body and should just quit..but I really want to spend time with my dog's...
Have you had therapy to help you littledogs?
I wonder if your mind is working against your body for some reason, which in the past may have been helpful. But now you mind and body have to make friends and work together. I think you need help to do this. Good luck littledogs.

N

navhealth

I am in the EXACT same boat as you my friend..i was anxiety and panic attack free 5 months now its back..and im constantly thinking its a heart attack incomming. Driving me crazy.

P

prsn

Have you ever spoken with some one who has experienced a heart attack? Perhaps to hear how it felt to them could help you? But of course it could do the opposite and feed your imagination even further I suppose. As someone who has experienced a heart attack and suffered with panic attacks previously I could certainly explain how it felt if you would like. I think it might surprise you or at least it did me it was so different to what I would have expected and actually nowhere near as scary as the years of panic attacks I had suffered.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Have you ever spoken with some one who has experienced a heart attack? Perhaps to hear how it felt to them could help you? But of course it could do the opposite and feed your imagination even further I suppose. As someone who has experienced a heart attack and suffered with panic attacks previously I could certainly explain how it felt if you would like. I think it might surprise you or at least it did me it was so different to what I would have expected and actually nowhere near as scary as the years of panic attacks I had suffered.
I have never had a heart attack, but I have friends who have-and they tell me the symptoms were pretty intense. Sharp pains in the chest (we all have those once in awhile) are usually not evidence of a heart attack. Many things can cause that.

Symptoms my friends describe when they had theirs is heavy pressure on the chest which wouldn't abate over time, strong soreness in the upper left arm, a strong taste in the mouth (really!) that wouldn't go away, profuse sweating and feeling generally exhausted. When you have a heart attack the discomfort usually lasts-it's not like a sharp pain or two, it starts and stays. It's usually pretty obvious that SOMETHING major is wrong when you have a heart attack.

If you have anxiety and concerns, get an EKG and a Stress Test done at your GP. Do it once a year, like I do. If it shows nothing abnormal-relax. Your own worst enemy is your imagination.

L

littledogs

Today my symptoms are explosive direa and I look sick..I was fine all Day and it Just came on.this happens average twice a month.. it's not related to panic as it happens regardless of state of mind.. it's also not diet related. However as soon as I get any Body symptoms I automatically think of covid. I start worrying and book another test..🙁 then I start focusing on my throat and any sensations there..my bowel issues happened long before anyone ever heard of Corona..It's the original cause of my health anxiety
Yet now I automatically link it to my Corona fears . and start planning my death again..😭. I think having the vaccine may help.. but until then I have a weekend of fear coming...

P

prsn

Today my symptoms are explosive direa and I look sick..I was fine all Day and it Just came on.this happens average twice a month.. it's not related to panic as it happens regardless of state of mind.. it's also not diet related. However as soon as I get any Body symptoms I automatically think of covid. I start worrying and book another test..🙁 then I start focusing on my throat and any sensations there..my bowel issues happened long before anyone ever heard of Corona..It's the original cause of my health anxiety
Yet now I automatically link it to my Corona fears . and start planning my death again..😭. I think having the vaccine may help.. but until then I have a weekend of fear coming...
Hi littledogs ouchie that sounds painful and a pain in the butt (please excuse the pun) Anxiety has a enormous effect on the bowel and digestive system. In fact the latest research says we have more serotonin receptors in our gut than in our brain, I believe. Irritable bowel syndrome effects many people and its primary cause is anxiety even when you dont feel anxious your body can be fooled into thinking danger is present. Take for example that jittery tummy people get before a big event that is the CNS working overtime and even if we feel happy our CNS can be working overtime producing more gastric juices than needed and causing soft sticky stools and diarrhoea.

I

Inie

I’m the same way. I’m always checking my heart rate. I keep my pulse oximeter in my pocket. I also sleep with my hand over my heart. I take a beta blocker everyday which helps my pounding heart. My mind is always fearing the worse. But the right meds do help ease some of the discomfort. Continue to find what works for you.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Relax and get ready for your vaccination. I took my wife in to get her first shot today.