BED (binge eating disorder) or just pure gluttony?

R

Raindrops1999

Hi all,

I have mental health issues and am morbidly obese. I only started gaining weight when I was 13 years old (now 20). I eat copious amounts of food in one sitting and I can't stand it; I hate it so much. I feel compelled to eat so much though. It's like it's my coping mechanism and without eating food to make myself feel better, I would feel empty. But the thing is, is that it's making extremely depressed. I'm already on anti-depressants and on an antipsychotics drugs as well. I've heard that the antipsychotics drugs can make your appetite sky rocket. But before I was on antipsychotics, I was eating lots as well. So, I don't know if it's to do with the antipsychotics?

Let me tell you some of my symptoms of my binge eating and why I feel like I may have binge eating disorder:

I eat very fast during a binge

I eat alone and/or secretly because I'm so embarrassed and ashamed of myself

I eat when I'm not hungry

I eat until I'm feel uncomfortably full

I buy lots and lots of food for me to binge on

I organise my life around bingeing episodes

I always think of food nonstop

I have no control around food, only when I am extremely full

I already experience OCD, anxiety, social phobia and depression

I feel like I have no self-worth whatsoever because of my weight and no one will ever love me because of my weight. My doctors surgery is useless, they don't do anything to help me other than offer me weight management (which is for anyone overweight) or tablets to make you have the runs if you eat fatty foods. Thankfully, on Wednesday I am seeing my usual GP who is really nice. So hopefully she'll be able to help me with my binge eating.

I am under a mental health team in my area, but they can't help me with my binge eating because they have no resources for binge eating.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there raindrops. It’s strange if your anorexic you get lots of support but overeat and your just plain greedy. Do you know when you started overeating. Were you an overweight child or did you suddenly just start overeating.
I ask this because my daughter was being abused and I didn’t realise . Just that she was getting fatter but I always made healthy meals and pudding was either fruit or yoghurt. He sister and myself were really thin. Finally when she was ten the truth came out but the damage was done. She was a comfort eater. She has battled with her weight all her life she’s now 36 and the weight is coming off and she’s down from a 26 to an 18. She’s done it thru sensible eating. She refuses to say she’s on a diet. And if there going out for a meal she enjoys it but cuts right down on the things like potatoes. Then the following day she eats salads She had tried diets and they worked but she soon put the weight back on. This way she can maintain the eating plan. She only want to go down one more size and she says she’ll be happy

I think you really need to understand why you eat so much. If there is something that your blocking maybe some therapy may help.

Daf

R

Raindrops1999

Hi there raindrops. It’s strange if your anorexic you get lots of support but overeat and your just plain greedy. Do you know when you started overeating. Were you an overweight child or did you suddenly just start overeating.
I ask this because my daughter was being abused and I didn’t realise . Just that she was getting fatter but I always made healthy meals and pudding was either fruit or yoghurt. He sister and myself were really thin. Finally when she was ten the truth came out but the damage was done. She was a comfort eater. She has battled with her weight all her life she’s now 36 and the weight is coming off and she’s down from a 26 to an 18. She’s done it thru sensible eating. She refuses to say she’s on a diet. And if there going out for a meal she enjoys it but cuts right down on the things like potatoes. Then the following day she eats salads She had tried diets and they worked but she soon put the weight back on. This way she can maintain the eating plan. She only want to go down one more size and she says she’ll be happy

I think you really need to understand why you eat so much. If there is something that your blocking maybe some therapy may help.

Daf
It's very true. Anorexic and bulimic people get a lot more help than a compulsive over eater. I think it's wrong. I'm not saying anorexic and bulimic people don't deserve the help, but I think help should be there for all ends of the spectrum and not just one.

I started overeating when I was 13, I had a bad incident on the internet once that made me worry for weeks and weeks on end, I also got bullied at school as well.

My mum and sister have always been thin and I was until I started my second year of secondary school. I wasn't an overweight child.

I feel like I need inpatient treatment to sort my eating out. I know it's unlikely though.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Sorry to hear that I think you need to explain to your gp that you think you have emotional /psychological reasons for over eating and suggest you need some therapy. But there is usually a long waiting list. They can usually put you in contact with a gym but a lot of your problem will be getting your head round it. Try the basics like not buying in in crisps and biscuits or fattening stuff. Have plain cereals . I don’t mean to come across as patronisising. But I think overeating is harder than stopping smoking. With cigs you can just ban them from your life. With food you need it to survive. Always make sure you have healthy snacks in. On a morning slice up a carrot or make a salad that you can dip into. Really it’s all down to your mindset and perseverance

I hope I haven’t offended you with any of this. Cos I really didn’t mean to:hug:

R

Raindrops1999

Sorry to hear that I think you need to explain to your gp that you think you have emotional /psychological reasons for over eating and suggest you need some therapy. But there is usually a long waiting list. They can usually put you in contact with a gym but a lot of your problem will be getting your head round it. Try the basics like not buying in in crisps and biscuits or fattening stuff. Have plain cereals . I don’t mean to come across as patronisising. But I think overeating is harder than stopping smoking. With cigs you can just ban them from your life. With food you need it to survive. Always make sure you have healthy snacks in. On a morning slice up a carrot or make a salad that you can dip into. Really it’s all down to your mindset and perseverance

I hope I haven’t offended you with any of this. Cos I really didn’t mean to:hug:
You haven't offended me, so that's fine.

I have cut down and got healthy alternatives for foods. For example, I will eat nuts instead of chocolate. I will eat baked crisps instead of fried ones. However, the problem is, is that I'm still eating lots of food in large quantities and all the calories add up. So instead of having some fast food, I will eat things that are less in calories, but will eat a lot more of the low calories things and it all adds up.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Riace cakes are good for filling you up or ryvetas . A programme on tv recently said that wraps are higher in calories than two slices of white bread because they have sugar added

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

No one here can diagnose you it would not be fair on you if you truly cant i mean really can't lose weight the conventional way move more and eat less you have a problem that needs a seeing to it I assume is psychology and less likely to be a physical condition but maybe it is you should get tested for all that hoping you will come out on top

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
How often do you binge?

I have/ had BED (am much better now that I was), not professional diagnosed, as like you no professional was interested. I have some tricks that helped me, but really you need to tackle the underlining reasons for why you binge to overcome it I think.

R

Raindrops1999

How often do you binge?

I have/ had BED (am much better now that I was), not professional diagnosed, as like you no professional was interested. I have some tricks that helped me, but really you need to tackle the underlining reasons for why you binge to overcome it I think.
I binge nearly everyday.

I think I binge to deal with bad emotions and out of boredom as well.

What tips and tricks do you have to share?

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
My main one is that I have a lock on my door in my bedroom and I lock it and put my key in a lockable box that locks for however long you want it to, then after a few hours usually my urge to binge is less or I do for some more.
or you could lock up your money, but I just used to steal money from my family so that didn't really work for me.

also eating low calorie food, like you said you eat nuts instead of chocolate, but they basically have the same calories then them, and having baked instead of fried crisps is hardly any different calorie wise, I wonder if seeing a dietitian would help you ( the ones I have seen are a bit crap though) or researching nutrition if you don't know much about it could help you.