• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Becoming rapid cycling?

Q

quirkqueen

I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 almost six years ago. I was on meds for a while, but their either made things worse or made me so emotionally and mentally numb that I couldn't function. I've managed to be without meds (or "recreational" substitutes) for over two years and I've been doing pretty well.

However, end of December/beginning of January I started having frequent hypomanic episodes (I never have them in the winter) along with quick swings into depression right after. Normally I have 5-6 serious episodes a year, but for the past few months it seems like I've constantly either been hypomanic or depressed, without much in between. Is it possible that I'm becoming rapid cycling? Has anyone else started out with normal cycles and become rapid cycling?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hi Quirkqueen,
Sorry you've not had a response yet.
This isn't something i've personally got experience of because i'm not diagnosed as bipolar and am by no means an expert on the subject.
Have you talked to your doctor about these changes you've noticed?
Also, i'm wondering if anything happened in your life around December time that might have changed things for you?

B

blueorange

Normally I have 5-6 serious episodes a year, but for the past few months it seems like I've constantly either been hypomanic or depressed, without much in between. Is it possible that I'm becoming rapid cycling? Has anyone else started out with normal cycles and become rapid cycling?
Hi,

As I know rapid cycling can be temporary. So you having rapid cycling right now doesn't mean that it will continue like this. At least I hope so because I'm also having rapid cycling. It may be a good idea to see you pdoc because rapid cycling is really terrible, so tiring.

H

Haley

Well, for what it's worth, I started out as a depressed teenager. I got involved with a yoga group and the depression went away. Then I was hypo manic and this gave me lots of energy to take care of my kids and garden. Much later I had the rapid cycling. The worst is the mixed state. I guess what my case shows you is that things change.