• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

becoming absessive over small insults

W

waterbottle

Hello

I need some advice. I usually consider myself a well balanced and socially well adjusted individual. However I have a tenancy to get really obsessed over slight insults or anything i precieve as an insult. I spend days and weeks going over it in my mind and can't seem to let go.

It's bad enough that I'm thinking of seeing a professional about it. It really really really sucks to be angry and upset about something that happened weeks or even months ago. I'm a student and it's interfering with my studies it's that bad.

Q

quality factor

Hi there, I do this quite a lot myself, it is known as 'ruminating'.
I wouldn't worry about seeking professional help if it is bothering you so much that you are unable to get on with normal day to day activities, I would definately have a talk with your GP.
When I am like this I try to occupy my thoughts more positvely or try to divert my thoughts to something completely different maybe through activity. Ruminating can be very exhausting and the object of your thoughts obviously need to be talked over ...perhaps a therapist could help?

W

waterbottle

Hi, thanks for the reply.

For some reason talking does help a little but not very much. It is certainly unable to dislodge the problem.

Trying to stay active sounds like a good idea, for the last few days I've been just sitting around. I think I'll go for a walk tomorrow and see if I it clears my head.

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
hi
try www. mood gym
a computer based therapy which will help you recognise your negative and positive thinking. also goto your gp
it works

W

waterbottle

Thankyou for the link. I was thinking going to my GP sound like a good idea but I've just been putting it of and get butterfly in my stomach at the though.
I'm not sure what it is but I think I'm embarrassed to go in and say I think I have a mental health problem. Maybe it's my pride. I know it's stupid but I can't help it:cry:

Q

quality factor

Hi there ...you are not stupid at all. You have jumped the first hurdle by recognizing that you may have a problem. I've found it helpful to write down my thoughts and concerns and give that to the GP, it opens up the discussion.
Good luck!