• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

because i don't hurt myself as much

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

as i used to people apart from BF think im doing so well

i asked my aunt how she thought i was doing and she thought well ,i asked her why and she said because you don't hurt yourself very much now

this makes me really angry
i have been very low and anxious and had terrible mood swings with feelings of dissociation
so im just wondering will i now get discharged because i am not hurting myself as much

does is not matter that i have constant suicidal thoughts and thoughts of sh but BF begs me not to do it

you won't believe how much i want to but he says he will hurt himself if i do so that stops me x

W

WhySoSerious

Firstly I empathise with the difficulties you are having, this is clearly a difficult position to find yourself in.

Unfortunately you have hit on a really interesting and important point that often maintains people's self harming. If you self harm people believe you are unwell and therefore there is a motive to continue. That is really unhelpful but is what it is.

I'm interested in what you aren't communicating non-verbally that makes people think you are fine? We often think we are communicating to other people our pain but outwardly people think we look okay because they can't see the pain. Do you actually communicate or express your pain in ways that people can make sense of? For example, I can be anxious and panicking but externally you would absolutely never know. I look cool, calm even confident but I believe I am communicating my distress. It is only when people get confused by my anxiety that I realise I am not communicating it at all.

Well done for not self-harming. It is certainly an unusual method to stop someone else harming by saying you will do it yourself! I am unsure how healthy that approach is but if it works in your relationship then I guess it works.

What I am hearing is that there are many motives for you to continue self-harming - not being discharged, people knowing you are in pain etc. We need to focus on the pros for not self-harming. Sadly the system sets us up so that self harming is seen as ill and not self harming loses us support and care. Its really a tricky thing.

Keep your head up. You can do this.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Lu,
Lots of people don't self-harm they are still under mental health services.
You are still ill, it's just some people don't understand unless been thru themselves or are professionals.
I'm sorry your struggling, it's good you have more support.
You really don't need to hurt yourself for care etc.
Hugs

W

WhySoSerious

On the flip side for that there are loads of people who self harm that aren't under MH services. I would argue that its not a pre-requisite for getting help and can (in some instances) block us getting help. For example, some therapies will not be offered if someone is self-harming.

Mayflower is completely right in this regard.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I i don't know? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
wraziel I don't wanna work anymore Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Fairy Fountain I don't believe that I have BPD. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 21
Fairy Fountain I just don't know what to do. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
K I don't understand love Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
M I don't want to be here anymore idk what to do Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
Fairy Fountain I don't know what to do. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 25
Fairy Fountain I don't know how to stand up for myself. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 27
C My friend needs me, but I don't know if I am strong enough Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
T I don't want to be alive (tw?) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Fairy Lucretia don't feel well Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
megirl Don't know what to think Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 113
B I don't know anything Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
D I I don't understand Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 23
Fairy Lucretia don't agree with diagnosis x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
V I don't know what I need Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
B I don't fit in to society because of my bpd and other mental illnesses Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
E My therapist told me I don't have BPD but... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
trueloveseeker "BPD - Borderlines Don't Cant & Won't Love You or Attach To You" Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 17
Fairy Lucretia i don't think i can give up hurting myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
EarthChild I don't fee real Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
T I don't think I'll ever find love Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 17
P I don't know what to do about my ex who has BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
D I don't know what to call this thread but please read it Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 37
P I don't feel like myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
H I dont know, i just don't Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
H Why do we hurt the ones we love the most Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
Fairy Lucretia i always think people are trying to hurt me x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
S Nobody Cares That I'm Still Hurt (Last Post) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
almostordinary My best friend really hurt me Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 23
C I want to kill myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
soulsearcher saw this and it really made me think about myself and other bpd sufferers Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
L I considered hurting myself tonight Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 16
M Being kind to myself. How? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
L my opinion of myself is based on the opinion of others Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
T i scare myself, i am about to lose everything Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
R I hate myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
L Struggling to accept life after years of trying to kill myself. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
UnstableSolace Letting myself get treated badly, help Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
L Comparing myself / getting angry about boyfriend's past Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
S I'm afraid of myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
V I tried to harm myself today... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
J Hurting myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
O Struggling to forgive myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 34
S I'm taking a vow of silence (I feel ashamed of myself) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
S I'm Fighting A Battle With Myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
S I Can't Believe Myself!! Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8