• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Beating the Blues is Just a Click Away!

N

NervyTwo

It sounds like a dodgy on-line scam run from a basement in Taiwan, but is actually the claim made by an on-line CBT course, which is being promoted to people with a diagnosis of depression by Jobcentreplus.

Yes, the DWP - via its Jobcentres - is "recommending" an on-line CBT course to people suffering clinical depression! This is wrong in so many ways, but isn't the first time the DWP has been accused of using dodgy or faux-"psychology" in its dealings with claimants.

Links to the Skwawkbox article here

and the original article on the Same Difference blog here

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Worrying stuff, in my opinion.
Any attempt at emotional manipulation by the government is not on.

Oh and it goes without saying that CBT doesn't always work for everyone..

N

NervyTwo

Worrying stuff, in my opinion.
Any attempt at emotional manipulation by the government is not on.

Oh and it goes without saying that CBT doesn't always work for everyone..
I'm sorry, I din't mean to worry you Somerset. I know I used to come on too strong around here sometimes and that maybe put people off. I hope to be a more mellow, cheerful person around the forums from now on.

But yes, it is worrying. The government seems to have a very cavalier attitude towards people's mental health, especially people who are already in a very vulnerable situation i.e. people claiming benefits.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Oh no, I didn't mean to make you worry that I was worried... :hug1:
I'm not personally worried, I just think it's all very dodgy. If the government can successfully try to manipulate how people feel, well, who knows where that might lead.

And don't apologise or change your posting habits. I like to be informed and appreciate the different news sources. x

pepecat

pepecat

I don't really agree with the DWP doing this to people, but do we know anything about the online course?

There are quite a few out there for online CBT - one - Moodgym - is an Australian site which is quite good I believe. Livinglifetothefull is another site that my gp recommended once.
I'm not saying CBT should be for everyone (absolutely not), and I tried moodgym for a bit and hated it, BUT for some people it might really work for them.