• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between

K

kodabear1024

Ok, so I have dealt with OCD junk on and off for quite some time. It tends to pop up when I'm really stressed out about my heart (had a mild attack back in '08), so anytime I think that something may be wrong with my heart, I wind up going to the hospital, getting tested, EKG's, the whole nine yards only to find out it is ok (that is a problem in and of itself). But, it's the anxiety that that particular incident starts the whole process. Long story short, my first episode along with a panic attack, brought on my first really bad Intrusive Thought(s). At that time, I had NO IDEA what was happening to me, why I was having these dreadful thoughts, day in and day out, I was always looking forward to going to sleep because it was the ONLY time my brain could rest. It got me quite depressed and questioning, "would I really act on these thoughts?, go to jail, end up in Hell, etc, etc). So I came across another forum (not this one!) and little did I know, a ton of people were going through and had almost the exact same experiences that I did. HUGE relief. But the thoughts were still there and I would use that forum as a coping mechanism. Fast forward to this past late July, again, thought something was wrong with my heart, went to the hospital, got checked out, same deal. And just like clockwork, the anxiety morphed into Intrusive Thoughts (this time about me). Awful, and I knew what it was, but the thoughts stuck like glue. I was like a hamster in a wheel that had the door locked. I went to the therapist twice which was no help because she just wasn't equipped to handle Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O thoughts, etc, so it almost made things worse. In the meantime, I ran across this self-help book called: Overcoming Unwanted Intrusive Thoughts: A CBT Based Guide to getting over Frightening, Obsessive, or Disturbing Thoughts, by Sally M. Winston, PsyD and Martin N. Seif, PhD. AMAZING. It's like my eyes were open for the first time in two months. So insightful. Two things I pulled away right away that will help many of you going through this:

Question: Is this really an intrusive Thought, How can I be sure... NO, REALLY, REALLY 1000% SURE:
  • First, it feels awful. It often comes with a whoosh, and it scares or embarrasses or disgusts or irritates you. You want to get rid of it, and you want to get rid of the feeling that comes along with it.
  • Second, it repeats. It comes back again and again. It feels stuck. It may morph for a while to something somewhat different, but then it might come right back to the original thought. In other words, intrusions stay stuck. The thoughts and feelings don’t progress. They don’t get washed away in the normal stream of consciousness.
I can't recommend this book and his website enough. Look him up, there is a ton of resources to deal with. If you've been struggling like me, I think, I KNOW this book will help.

And remember, you HAVE to let the thoughts be. There is NO OTHER WAY .... AND You have to label them, "Oh, another Intrusive thought, time to move on".

D

DaisyLaCrazy

How do you ‘let the thoughts be’ ?

K

kodabear1024

They come in, you have to label them (as Intrusive Thoughts), because they make you feel like total crap and raise your anxiety and just don't feel good at ALL. It's takes acceptance to do it. The book really unwraps the whole process people with Intrusive Thoughts go through. The "What If's?, what if mine is different?, what if that means something else?, what if my Intrusive Thoughts are more real than everyone elses, etc, etc. I'm STILL accepting and working on it. Does this help?