• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

BBC News

M

maudikie

South West forum.

They are building flats galore which are supposed to be affordable, but I understand they cost £250,000. This is not suitable for the mentally ill. Most are on Benefits or at least very low incomes. Why have the M.Ps put their own slaries up when the number of low icome families and singletons are so low that they are on the breadline?:mad:

D

Dollit

Any housing development over a certain size has to make provision for affordable housing. Just because you see properties advertised at the inflated price doesn't mean to say that there isn't some at a lower price. Have said that, affordable housing is not aimed at the mentally ill or any person on benefits for whatever reason, they are there to enable people who are working to get on the property ladder if they wish to. People on benefits don't tend to be good mortgage risks.

M

maudikie

Housing.

I agree with you about the mortgage, but at present the housing market is in a bit of a mess, and even some of those with emploment are having difficulty in getting mortgages. Also the repayments for many have gone up causing them difficulty.
although I must admit that I think that many have taken on more than they can manage well, and of course after a period of "never mind the money, have what you want" it isn't easy for the young ones to tighten theri belts. It's a different world to the one I was brought up in and got used to.:)