• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Banging our heads against the wall

J

JordanandJonnie

Hi everyone! My name's Jonnie. My partner Jordan has suffered from mental health problems ever since she was young, and she still is very young at the age of 19. I believe this is due to a traumatic experience growing up witnessing the slow death of her Grandfather.

Jordan used to live down south in Suffolk, and was under Suffolk early intervention. During this time she was hospitalised and put on risperidone. She was never diagnosed and still suffers to this day unmedicated. She suffers from really quite frightening psychosis almost daily and goes through intense depression and high mania episodes very rapidly - However, we were told she is not Bipolar.

During the past few months, Jordan has attempted suicide multiple times. All services have been completely useless. She selfharmed- We waited over an hour for an ambulance and finally decided it was time to just get her to A&E after I spent the hour taking care of her. This is only one of the many times we've had no real help in a case of possible suicide and self harm.

In December, we finally were referred to mental health services. This was after Jordan overdosed while drinking and had a lot of heart pain. The doctor on A&E was rude (Likely as Blackpool Victoria has a lot of cases of alcohol abuse) and made Jordan feel useless, furthering her suicidal thoughts. I was livid as you can imagine.

In December we finally had our Single Point of Access appointment at Woodlands Resource Centre in St.Annes. For an hour, Jordan went over her experiences and at the end, we were told that an appointment would be sent to us for 6-8 weeks. Lo and behold, we went to her appointment yesterday on the 26th of January 2015.

It was a disaster. Jordan spilt her guts and took full initiative I've never seen her take before to explain how shit things are in her head. She explained the desire to die, the desire to harm herself, the hatred she has for herself, but also the sudden times of intense work ethic and prolificness. It was all going well, but finally towards the end, everything went downhill. The doctor we saw explained to Jordan that if she was in America, she would have been diagnosed Bipolar type 2 and treated, but because this is the UK, she was taken of Psychiatric care and put back on Primary.

Jordan drank herself sick last night and was very close to attempting suicide again. I helped her through the night as well as I could and today, we attempted to ring Single Point of Access as a last attempt and the lady simply got frustrated and told us to wait for CBT.

Jordan has tried all self help under the sun. She's giving up. What do we do? It's like nobody wants to help her.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

So the doctor told you that because you're not in America he can't treat you?
Did he offer any kind of follow-up at all?

You are entitled to ask for a second opinion and I would urge you to do that.
I don't quite know what a Single Point of Access is.. is that for you to access mental health services?

Have you tried going back to basics and speaking to a GP?
Also, did the risperidone ever help her?

J

JordanandJonnie

Hi there,

That's the gist of it at the moment. We're considering a second opinion but this is one of many times she's tried, she was taken much more seriously down south. The part that hurts the most is the fact that the Single Point of Access phone call was so frustrating. SPoA is sort of the gateway to the psychiatrist, basically the only way we can get into contact with someone outside of 999 and the crisis team.

The Risperidone helped her in the past but she didn't enjoy the side effects. She wants to try again. Tonight she managed to fall asleep at a sensible time and woke up just 20 minutes ago with quickening heartbeat and feeling anxious. No psychosis tonight but she was heavily hypermanic last night just an hour before falling asleep.

Our next step is getting a GP appointment to discuss the psychiatrists letter and see if there's any diagnosis, however, her psychiatrist explained that he "Doesn't believe in diagnosing" (Lol) and that she doesn't strike him as the UK definition of Bipolar. Really frustrating. It's likely she will be left undiagnosed and be considered normal yet be completely unable to work and care for herself.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Hi I'm in Canada so can't tell you how to access the best service where you are, but I just wanted to say that more and more, P-Docs are treating by symptom groups rather than Labels as everyone is uniquely different and people can fit into more than one label group.
I think your wife would benefit most by giving the risperidone proper time to work. The initial side effects are hard to get through but they do diminish as she adjusts to them. With my boys it's always been around the three month mark when I see in them and they feel the full benefits of the medication.

If she is prone to panick attacks and woke up already feeling anxious, this could trigger the heart palpitations and racing pulse as well. It may not just be a med side effect.

Keeping a detailed mood journal and symptom journal you can take in with you next time you see the doctors would help him get a more complete picture. I suggest you sit in on the Dr's appointments as much as possible as well, to advocate for her and to ensure she is being listened to. I believe dr's do take you more seriously when they know you have backup. Don't stop trying to get that second opinion as well even if it comes out to the same conclusions, you may have some peace of mind.